Thread: Custom made Cordura nylon and/or neoprene bags

Custom made Cordura nylon and/or neoprene bags

Does anyone know of a shop that does custom made Cordura nylon or neoprene work? I am in southern California so a local shop would be nice but would be willing to work via email also. I'm thinking of some bags and cases for various items in my large format backpack.

Not sure if this is what you have in mind, but have you looked at Strebor?

www.strebor.com/StreborProducts.html

Ostrom Outdoors in Canada offers custom design work:

http://www.ostrompacks.com/customf.htm

I have one of their internal frame canoe packs and it's very well made.

I had luck in finding a student at a local community college, who specialized in dress design and who had the skills and access to an industrial sewing machine. Using her skills and her interest in picking up the occasional side job, we designed and put together several very high quality shoulder bags and tote bags for my large format equipment. If you log on to www.seattlefabrics.com, you will find ripstop nylon, ballistic nylon, webbing, lining material, straps, zippers, all kinds of neat hardware, and flexible plastic sheets and foam used for reinforcement. Seattle Fabrics is a backpacking and outdoor gear supply house. Perhaps you can find a similar store near you, or just order from Seattle Fabrics. To satisfy my need for overkill, I found all sorts of great stainless steel hardware, such as D rings, snap hooks, zippers, and grommets at a marine supply house, which I'm sure you have in your area. With these resources you will be able to make custom bags that will rival the quality and price of any on the market today.

Check out www.thepouch.com. They custom made a number of velcro-closure , fabric-backed Neoprene pouches for me in the past. For example, I had two camera covers made, one for my Linhof TK and one for my Arca Swiss 8x10. I use these covers while moving from place to place with the camera tripod mounted over my shoulder - offers some camera protectiion should I slip. They lost their designer some months ago and were not able to do custom work for a while, but they may be back up to speed. Nice folks to work with. -Martin Miller (www.millervisuals.com)