Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: advantages of monorail over field camera

advantages of monorail over field camera

I too have a Horseman LE. Monorails are more flexible in more ways than just the movements. I have fitted my LE with a Sinar shutter so I can use funky, old lenses in barrel for minimal cost. In addition, I can change between the 5x7 and 4x5 formats very easily. Having said that, my Gandolfi 5x7 traditional is about half the weight of the 4x5 LE and that leads to me using it more often outside. I will say this though, once you get used to geared movements, it's tough to go to a friction system. There have been many times that I have forgotten to lock down some movement on the LE until I was putting the camera away. The thing is solid enough that it hasn't mattered, the shots came out just as sharp. So my answer is abviously to get both! Why decide?:-)

Isaac

<I.I find a blank, neutral background to be sterile and unnatural. I particularly like the images of Karsch, Liebovitz and especially Sally Mann. In my view, they are not typical portrait photographers; the backgrounds in their portraits tend to interact with and augment the human element in their respective images.</I>

But that has nothing to do with camera movements or even camera format and everything to do with the way they think. You might also want to start looking up the work of Dan Winters , Gregory Heisler, & Arnold Newman.

Back in the bad old days there used to be a pretty clear distinction between field cameras and monorails. Field camera meant wood, light weight, short bellows, limited movements, kind of flimsy and not very precise. Monorail meant metal, heavy, long bellows, lots of movements, sturdy, and precise. Then manufacturers like Wisner, Canham, et al came along and started making field cameras with long bellows and extensive movements that were also reasonably sturdy, precise, and also heavy. Some (e.g. Canham, Walker, and probably others that don't come immediately to mind) even abandoned wood. Then others (e.g. Linhof, Toyo, Horseman) made hybrid studio/field cameras. So today there isn't quite the distincition between monorail and field that there used to be, the lines have become blurred.

Either would probably work for the things you want to do. I'd opt for a field camera because of the convenience of carrying it around and setting it up. You can find plenty of field cameras that will have everything you need for the work you want to do.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

The big advantage that I find is Axis Tilts. Some of the more expensive folding field cameras have Axis Tilts but most have Base Tilts.

I recently switched from a folding field (Horseman FA) to an Arca Swiss F-Line Field monorail. Here are some of my considerations for doing so:

1) The folding field required non-intuitive mechanics for achieving many movements. The monorail is very intuitive & logical (my background is in computer systems)
    2) The folding field had limited range on botht he short and long focal lengths. The monorail is much more versatile
    3) The A/S field is as light as many folding fields.
    4) The A/S field is just as fast to set up as my foilding field.

Other than the extra $ for the A/S I have found no reasons to regret switching to a monorail.

The bellows length thing is very camera related. Take the Shen Hao 5x7 with the 4x5 reducing back on it. If a person really wanted it would have a fairly wide bellows range. With a recessed board I think it's 60mm at it's tightest. Or almost 600mm at the longest. You sure won't get much/any movements with a lens at the shortest point. But then how much coverage do lenses that short have?

Your Super Graphic already has about all the (front) lens movements that you will ever use. The only advantage you would get from most of the current 4x5 cameras (both field and monorail) is some back movements which aren't often needed for the kind of work you propose. Unless you just want a new camera (which is a whole different ballgame), I'd just stick with the Super Graphic. (P.S. Technikas only weigh about a pound more, and Ebonys a pound less than your Super.)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

What is this super graphic? I ain't got no stinkin' graphic!

But, seriously, I think you have me confused with another. By super graphic, do you
    mean something in the speed graphic/crown graphic line? I know where I can pick up a couple of those
    for about $500 total, including lenses. Would that be a good choice?

Thanks for your indulgence.

Sorry, Percy. Should have been posted to another thread. I don't kow how it got here. Senior moment, perhaps?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Hi.

Bill, no need to apologize. The more the merrier, I say. Thanks for joining in.