Thread: New technika 71xxx

Smile New technika 71xxx

I have a new Technika iv that had been unused for some time and I have a few questions. I have glued loose leather with rubber cement and used Lexol for treatment. The rails were frozen with stiff lubricant but I cleaned and freed them up. The rangefinder looks coated with dirt but is usable as is. The Technika is usable without a CLA but could use one. It is nearly 60 years old but is good condition. How much would a CLA cost for a functioning IV? I know everyone states that the iv back was not adjusted to a fixed focus point like the later Technika cameras but I believe that the iv back can be shimmed to Technika v standard. Please give me your thoughts. Paul

Re: New technika 71xxx

Call Bob Watkins and ask him.

I know everyone states that the iv back was not adjusted to a fixed focus point like the later Technika cameras but I believe that the iv back can be shimmed to Technika v standard. Please give me your thoughts.
    Does the V really have a standardized back? I think mine might be a transitional model, but all three lenses have numbers matching the lens and camera #.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Does the V really have a standardized back? I think mine might be a transitional model, but all three lenses have numbers matching the lens and camera #.
    Ask Bob Watkins, but your lens cams would then have to be replaced with new ones.

Thank you for your replies. I doubt that the backs were identical but I believe that the spacing to film plane was standardized. Thank you, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ashley View Post
    Thank you for your replies. I doubt that the backs were identical but I believe that the spacing to film plane was standardized. Thank you, Paul
    The expression that Linhof uses is that starting with the V the gg positioned was zeroed. That means that lenses crammed for a V or a Master can be used interchangeably on any other V or Master. It also means that the camera does not have to be sent to a service center along with a lens for a cam to be cut. With the IV the camera and lenses needed to be sent in for camming and that cam would not track focus properly on another IV or later Technika. Service could take two or more IVs and place the gg position so that cams cut for one would track properly on the other. But still not on any other body.