Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graflex 10" Tele-Optar questions

Re: Graflex 10" Tele-Optar questions

Thanks! Will it (Nikkor-T 270 mm) cover 4" x 5" when focused at infinity and wide-open? I would use it for portraits, but would also like to be able to use it for other, far-away subjects (distant landscapes, boats, etc.).

One of my favorite lenses. Easily covers 5x7. Sharp and contrasty. #2 Wollensak shutter.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re: Sharp

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    One of my favorite lenses. Easily covers 5x7. Sharp and contrasty. #2 Wollensak shutter.
    Thanks, Bill! How does it compare to the Optar 101mm f/4.5 for the Century Graphic? That's the only other Optar lens I have experience using.

MFS, Optar is a Graflex Inc. trade name, not a lens design type. Most Optars were made by Wollensak, who sold the 101/4.5 as a Raptar and the 10"/5.6 tele as a TeleRaptar.

You can't conclude anything about how Wollensak's tessars perform from how a Wolly telephoto lens performs. They're different design types. All the two have in common is Wollensak.

An old-style tele like a TeleRaptar will have lower resolution, more distortion and less coverage than a tessar type of the same focal length and maximum aperture.

I have the very strong impression you're trying to avoid making a bad mistake. Give it up, you're doomed. You're looking at used lenses with different histories of abuse (or good care) from a maker whose quality control was so-so. The only way to know whether a Wollensak lens you're offered is good or bad is to try it out. f/5.6 Pro Raptars might have been more consistent when new than other Wolly lenses but nowadays they're all used too.

Re: Thanks, all!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    I have the very strong impression you're trying to avoid making a bad mistake....The only way to know whether a Wollensak lens you're offered is good or bad is to try it out.
    I am definitely trying to avoid a mistake, hence all the "stupid" questions. My rationale for the comparison of the 101mm f/4.5 to the 10" Tele-Optar was that if Wollensak had good quality control, you might be able to get a general idea of the performance of their lenses, even though they are different styles (i.e. if their Tessars are great/poor, then their telephotos should great/poor, etc.) I have came to the conclusion that, like you said, I would just have to try one out, and see what it does.

At any rate, I really appreciate all the advice and information from everyone in the thread!

Many, or even most, of us, including me, have had consistently good results will Wollensak lenses, and the teles. I think they're highly underrated, thanks to the criticism they get, not due to their performance. I don't have the 10" lens, but I have four of the 15", two in shutters, two barrel, and they are great. I have long suspected that old + American + lens is a trigger for negativity from a lot of people that simply needs to be ignored.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

MFS: just be sure that you have return privileges on any used lens you buy (and plan on eating the postage, which is only fair).
    Dan, I agree completely, except I don't think that Wolly had so-so QC -- they just weren't Zeiss, Eastman, or Goerz -- more like Schneider.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)