Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello form Calgary - new to LF (already have a question!)

Hello form Calgary - new to LF (already have a question!)

I've just taken the leap from medium to large format photography and I'm really excited! My wista 45n + Fujinon 150mm f/6.3 came in the mail yesterday. The shutter and camera function beautifully and I'm eager to take my first shots. Alas, I can't focus at all. . . .I thought I knew a little bit about photography but am left utterly humbled.

Here are some details:

1) the camera has a revolving back with a "wista" engraved ground glass.
    2) from looking at other 45n's the ground glass seems to be placed properly (between the lens and the inside of the holder).
    3) i've taken the lens off the camera and have been able to focus on objects no problem just looking through it.
    4) i've removed the front and rear lens element and re-fastened them to make sure they are tight.
    5) I've tried every bellows extension (66mm to 300mm) on objects near and far and have only been able to focus on objects ~> 12 feet away (and only at ~300mm bellows extension).
    6) rear-tilt of the rear standard is the only movement that helps with focussing, all other movements either make it worse or have no noticeable effect.
    8) I tried all of the above in daylight (i.e., plenty of light and bright ground glass) and used a tripod.

I'm not sure what else to try, and was hoping you could help! I'm probably missing something simple.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Re: Hello form Calgary - new to LF (already have a question!)

Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Patrick,

Let's see if we can solve your problem.

Be aware that the problem may not be with you, but with your equipment, so look for anomalies in that respect as well.

First, I 150mm lens should focus at infinity with the lensboard approximately 150mm (6 inches) from the ground glass. Set up your camera on a tripod pointed at a distant scene (horizon), set the shutter to open and the aperture all the way open (f/6.3 in your case) and set the distance between front standard and lens at approximately 150mm.

Now, look at the ground glass. You should see at least blurry outlines of the horizon and a few objects. Adjust focus by turning the focus knob (which in your case should move the front standard back and forth). The image should get better/worse and you should be able to find a spot where it is in sharp focus.

If any of these things aren't working as described, you've likely got a problem. E.g., if the front standard isn't moving back and forth, or you can't get an improvement in focus within a short distance one way or the other from your starting point, etc.

If your lens is defective, or has the wrong elements (or elements swapped) it may not form a sharp image at all. This would be cause for return.

Keep us posted and we'll help you through this. Some pictures would be nice too.

Good luck,

Doremus

Hi Doremus,

Thanks for your reply. Like I said the only extension the lens focusses at is around 300mm on distant objects. The camera functions great, no problems as all. So I'm guessing it must be the lens, but I can still look through it off camera and get it to focus on things (text on my computer monitor) about 4-5 inches away.

Patrick

Here are some photos illustrating the issue.

Here is looking through the ground glass with bellows extended to 150mm from ground glass to lens board (not in focus)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08132.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	145501
    Here is the camera with bellows extended to 150mm

Name:	DSC08143.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	145502

Here is looking through the ground glass with bellows extended to 300mm from ground glass to lens board (in focus)

Name:	DSC08140.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	145503
    Here is the camera with bellows extended to 300mm

Name:	DSC08142.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	145504

more coming in the next post. .

Here is the lens

Name:	DSC08153.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	145506
    Here is the lens focussing on text on my monitor from ~4-5 inches away (in focus)

Name:	DSC08150.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	145505

here is the lens on the the camera at 300mm bellows extension without the ground glass (in focus)

Name:	DSC08166.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	145507

Here is the ground glass off the camera from top and bottom
    Attachment 145508

Attachment 145509

I'm really miffed. It's like the 150mm lens is actually a 300mm lens.

Perhaps your lens is missing an element...

You also should identify your location as perhaps local help is already here.

welcome!
    Tin Can

Patrick... You have a PM. Thank-you!

Patrick

there is a large format photography group in Calgary. They meet once a month and there is a email list. I get the emails and have been out shooting with two of them once but cannot drive 3 hours for a mid week meeting. I am not sure if Eric Rose is still active on this forum but he is one of the members.