Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We (or I) need a better spanner

We (or I) need a better spanner

So I have the second most difficult lens to un-mount from the back of a camera. The first bent an SK Grimes spanner into junk. I'm on the second at the moment.

Thinking, thinking of a lightly loaded impact spanner. Tomorrow I might cobble it together unless net wisdom (always brighter than I am) has another angle.

??

Re: We (or I) need a better spanner

A machinist I knew would free large rings for me by first applying something to penetrate the thread (for some time), maybe a little heat, then take a brass rod, hardwood stick, grind some kind of chisel etc, put in into one of the slots, and lightly tap the end of the rod with varying sizes of little hammers until the rings started to turn... Just have to figure out where and how to apply the force...

Always worked, somehow... Freed some really frozen stuff this way...

Steve K

Along with what Steve K said, and I've used my seldom used vernier calipers as a spanner, the wide
    jaws give me a better grip. I've also turned the shutter counter clock a bit to try to loosen really seized on
    lock rings.

I trust your advise, LabRat. I am reluctant to use thread penetrators because the ring is close to the lens and I do not want to contaminate it. I am an old Volkswagen (mine) kind of person and in that realm I understand some of the counter-intuitive issues of mechanics.

Tired... will sleep upon this lens issue ...

This is on a lens board? If so, is the lens board sacrificial-able? A Grimes tool should be adequate, and if you don't want to use PB Blaster, then sacrifice the lens board if appropriate. (What's the history of the lens on the board? Did someone glue it on LOL?)
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

You don't have to apply a lot... Use a hypodermic syringe, and the tiniest drops... Acetone is a good clean solvent that penetrates well... Lighter fluid for a little lube action... Touching some parts of the ring with a hot soldering iron can help break the seating sometimes... But every case is different...

And you can grind out a spanner tool out of a piece of tool steel... Will be stiffer...

Muse, muse, muse....

Steve K

Somebody may have glued it. Heat?

As already posted, sometimes reverse, meaning tightening helps.

I use a 2 oz ball peen and tiny drifts on such problems.

If nothing works, seal off every thing with tape and cut it with tiny diameter abrasive cutoff wheel by Dremel.

A hand impact driver, needs a firm grip and a sharp hammer tap. You could as planned make a spanner and impact driver adapter. It would be my last resort.
    Tin Can

Spray some PB Blaster in a small glass or other container and use qtips to carefully apply it to the threads.

I don't think I would use impact drivers. Sometimes the brass will deform just enough to bind the threads while you are trying to loosen the ring.

I might avoid acetone and try denatured alcohol first. It will eventually come loose, one way or another.

Do or do not. There is no try.

You could try a couple of drops, applied carefully, of a 50:50 mix of acetone and ATF (automatic transmission fluid).

My thought is like labrat's; grind one to fit. I'd try to grind it out of the side of a stiff chisel scraper so the handle will provide some leverage.