Thread: A cold morning (35mm)

A cold morning (35mm)

I shared these over on LuLa and really doing this kind of stuff what what made me think about LF and getting detail
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1040.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	145376

Name:	IMG_1083.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	145375

Drew Wiley

Re: A cold morning (35mm)

The only problem with that idea is that when you do get that rich big print from large format, of a bitterly cold morning on a day when you're in the darkroom because it's still cold and wet outside, you kinda wish you'd printed an image of something tropical instead, so you'd subconsciously feel warmer! But yes, those
    are lovely shots.

you're not wrong. I remember waiting for the sunrise watching my coffee go solid and saw ice forming up the legs of my tripod before my eyes. It was like a scene from The Day after Tomorrow.

Drew Wiley

I used to barter large-format prints for various services. In one case it was an Optometry office. Since I've always done a lot of mountain photography, many
    of my prints had snow and ice subjects in them, and such scenes hung in that office for almost thirty years. Probably good for checking eyesight too, since some
    of these were very sharp Cibachrome prints. But then eventually the Optometrist's wife was getting bored as a housewife after the kids had all grown up, and wanted a job, so he had her become the receptionist. She got rid of all those pictures because they made her "feel cold", and replaced them with tropical scenes
    with bright sunny colors.

Another potential problem is the tendency to do something safe and typical once you've gone to the trouble of setting up your large format camera and also considered the cost of film and processing. You know, like making sure that you've got detail in all the shadows, which would have destroyed the beautiful mystery of that second photograph. I know, because I've kicked myself black and blue over that ... more than once.
    Enjoy what you've made. They're very nice.

aaah Prague...

Coming there (Again) in April...

A few years ago in Taos NM we had a commercial shoot of a house for an architect in the dead of winter. I decided to do a pre-dawn twilight shot of the exterior. It was about 10 degrees outside and we were freezing. Taking the tripod out of my warm car and planting it in position in the snow in the dark we waited some 1/2 hour for the light to come up. When I went to move inside the tripod was stuck. I wrenched it loose and proceeded only too find that my spike/rubber tips had come off and were likely stuck deep in the snow. As we were on a tight schedule I decided to wait till later to retrieve them but we could never find them. I should have gone back in the spring but they were cheap to replace. Since then I have always put a small screw through the tip furl into the tripod leg to keep them secure.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

A cold digital morning a few days ago here.
    Just as I was leaving the sun broke out, only had time to grab a couple of digital snaps

Nikon d300 with a dirty sensor

October 2014, northwest of Chicago, first good frost of the year. I was out early with a bird watching group, but the scenery was better than the birds.

Bob

Name:	Middlefork 20141019 (2).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	148112

Name:	Middlefork 20141019 (19).jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	148111