Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Again about bags for LF

Again about bags for LF

Hi all,

I would like to know what recommendations or options there for a bag that can accommodate a body of LF [say up to 8x10 but for now it is 4x5] with up to 4 lenses and few film holders and another accessories such as a light meter and shutter release and maybe few film sheets boxes?

I never shoot with LF since i did in very long time ago due to i didn't decide on a bag that time that i can use to carry my LF body with 2 lenses and few holders and other smaller stuff, once i can get that bag then it will be easier for me to go out shooting with LF, and something happened to me that made me to stop before but that is gone and now slowly i am getting back to photography overall and hope with film and LF too if i figure out a good bag for that hiking purpose.

Re: Again about bags for LF

Well for 4x5 (but NOT 8x10) I have been using a LowePro "Magnum-35" shoulder bag. It holds my little Wista mfg Zone VI, 3-4 lenses , film holders, tripod and everything else—weighs 22-25 pounds depending. .

Started out with a LowePro back pack (an older Trekker-something model) but I'm not a hiker really and the shoulder bag is more compact. However the backpqack and the whole 4x5 kit did get tossed into an airliner's cargo hold once and traveled well. Now the Trekker stores my 8x10 Kodak 2D in the closet. If you want to go both ways, maybe the backpack route is for you.

In the city (Houston) I sometimes transport the 4x5 gear in a hard shelll computer case. It has wheels and attracts less attention than the shoulder bag.

Any Help?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1011183.jpg   P1011182.jpg  
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

You could try a "WTB" (Want To Buy) entry in the "For Sale/Wanted" section for a Photobackpacker pack. Many of us feel that these are the best LF packs around, but unfortunately the company just went out of business. At one time there were a number of people trying to sell their "P2" packs in order to replace them with the newer "P3" versions.

The bag that I have that works best for my 4x5 field is an older bag made for a video camera. Maybe whatever came after vhs cameras as not quite big enough for those.

I have a P3 that is brand new. Contact me through PM if interested.

I have a LowePro for the 8x10. It is a beast.
    Actually it is a excellent argument for getting different kind of beast---a pack mule.
    Ansel knew what he was doing.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

I have been happy with the Tamron 750 and 752 Super Photo backpacks because they are top loaders. The photobackparker.com did a going out of business sale here and on APUG and now I am a big fan of his P3 pack system. Contact him and see if he will sell you any of his remaining stock.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

I looked all over L.A. (at the time) for my backpack. It's about 23"x14"x7" and has completely open space on the inside with no compartments. No padded sides either, which can substantially increase the weight. Just durable cloth sides.

It has a zippered, 23"x14" cover, which itself has a smaller, simpler backpack attached to it that's large enough to hold 8x10 film holders. (Or smaller, of course.)

I can easily fit my Deardorff 8x10 in its Photobackpacker case at the bottom of the pack with room for four lenses towards the top. It's also excellent for my 4x5 kit, which has more lenses.

I've been shooting a lot in the mountains and have been using the Lowepro Flipside Sport 20L. Inside the bag, in the removable camera compartment, it fits my Wista 45n, 3 lenses, pentax 5 spotmeter, 8 fidelty elite filmholders, and some other accessories (air blower, microfiber, sometimes cokin graduate filter set). On the outside it fits a tripod nicely. There's an additional side pocket meant for water, but I usually use it for bear spray as I typically have a helper who carries the water!. The font zipper pocket can hold wallet, ID, keys, even some extra film holders and filters. The front has a shock cord/bungee cord straps that can be used to secure other gear. I typically use it to secure snowshoes, crampons, or clothing (it's actually quite strong/durable so far). It also includes a waterproof shell (these can be surprisingly pricey so it's a nice feature). You can get more info from the lowepro website.

Overall in terms of ergonomics, with a 20-25 lbs load, it's decent, even over 8-12 hours of hiking. If fits me small and I'm 6'2". The unzipping backside is brilliant for accessing gear. I would not recommend the bag for long days if your load is 30+ lbs though. It would probably be uncomfortable to most.

Also, if you're solo and doing long days, there is not a lot of extra room for food and water.

However, the removable camera compartment means that you can still keep your LF gear contained in a larger bag, as I've done for multiday trips (just remove the inner compartment and put it in a larger bag).

Functionally I think I would find it difficult to replace. It's ugly as hell though. . . but most camera bags are

I have always had better luck buying bags (backpacks) for my LF equipment at good camping stores. They are usually lighter,at least as durable, better constructed and cheaper. My favorite is an internal frame in which I carry my 7x17 with lenses and accessories. I have had it for quite a few years and paid about $50 for it. I hate to think how massive and heavy one would be in comparison if manufactured by a camera bag company.