Thread: VC Light Sources

VC Light Sources

I am considering buying a Variable Contrast light source for my Beseler 45 MCRX englarger. I am not happy with the Aristo D2 cold light head that came with it for a couple of reasons. It doesn't seem to have enough coverage and I don't like fooling around with VC filters.

My previous enlarger (before I switched to 4x5) was a Beseler 23CIII XL with B&W VC Head. Changing contrast was quick and easy - just turn the dial.

I am looking at the Aristo VCL 4500 cold light head and the Beseler 4x5 Universal light source that has a B&W VC mode. Does anybody have any direct experience with these units? What are the pros and cons for them? The cost (new) appears to be about the same.

VC Light Sources

Two of the biggest problems with cold lights (I had a D2 like you have before) are the warm-up time and unstable light output (they sell expensive feedback loop timers to compensate for that). I wonder if that's any better with the VC sources.

My 2 cents would be to forget the cold light altogether and look for a used LPL VC enlarger. It uses a halogen lamp that is instant-on, very even illumination, and is not prone to fluctuation in light intensity (comes with it's own voltage stabilizer). It has other nice features, too. The LPLs have been on Fee-Bay pretty frequently lately. You want the VCCE (for BW only) or the Dichroic (BW or color) light source. The VCCE is a easier to use if you only do BW printing.

VC Light Sources

Dear Mark,

I own the Aristo VCL 4500 light source. I have had it for a number of years . I have had cold lites since the mid-1970's. This set up is the best of the lot. I have not had any of the problems that you mentioned with the earlier units. I also own and use the Metrolux II timer with this set up. This is not an inexpensive set up but one that certainly works. I generally turn on the focus while I am setting up chemisty and letting the Thomas sodium vapor lamp come up to brightness. After that, no problems.

leec

VC Light Sources

I own the same combination as Lee, Aristo VCL4500 and Metrolux timer. I used them extensively for about 10 years. I was very pleased with them, excellent range from .1 to 5.1 with settings in tenths in between, very convenient, no problems at all. The only downside for me was installing the sensors of the Metrolux to the VCL4500 light tubes. You have to drill a hole in the side of the head and it's kind of scary doing that with the glass tubes just on the other side of the place where you're drilling. But I managed to do it without drilling into the tubes and I'm one of the least handy types around.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.