Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 11x14 experiences - please share yours

11x14 experiences - please share yours

I received my 11x14 Chamonix today. Very impressed with the design and ergonomically it's a hundred times sturdier and nicer to use than my Tachihara 8x10, and surprisingly light for the size. Keeping in mind I'm only an amateur so hope to not sound like I know what I'm talking about!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2388.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	148668
    The 8 inch lens board size gives it a lot of presence. Also the focusing design makkes critical focus is easy.

Name:	IMG_2390.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	148669

Perhaps the plate holder I am most impressed with.
    The spring back on the camera makes inserting the plate holder an absolute dream... no more worrying about pulling the rear standard out of focus during insertion of the plate holder. This was probably what pleased me the most about playing with the camera this afternoon. Inserting the plate holder into my Tachihara has always given me the shivers as you will never know if you've stuffed up the focus until you develop.

Name:	IMG_2393.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	148670

It is modular to take 11x14, 11x11 and 5 1/2 x 14 inch plates. They were kind enough to etch those dimensions into the ground glass, too.

I am now just waiting for my silver bath to arrive and I hope to be out shooting before the end of the week. I have no doubts I'm going to have a lot of fun with this camera.

Cheers

Re: 11x14 experiences - please share yours

Congratulations on your Chamonix 11x14. Have been using mine for almost 2 years and just love it.

Carrying it around was a problem. I would spread out everything in the back of my mid-sized SUV only to have it bounced around while driving. What I finally did is purchase a very used Sinar case made for the Norma 8x10 system. Gutted out the left side and glued in fitted pieces of garage flooring to protect the camera. Left side of case holds folded camera, WA bellows, and 2 holders. Right side lenses in Sinar boards with the focusing cloth over them. Whole thing a bit heavy to carry long distances but no problem for short walks.

Looks like Chamonix increased the size of the lens board. Mine uses standard Sinar boards.

Enjoy....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11x14case.jpg  

Yes this camera has an 8 inch lens board. I am not sure if this is a standard feature now but when I asked Hugo for an 8 inch front he said the 11x14 comes with it, so maybe that means it's the new and improved?

This camera will be used for wet plate so won't be going far from the vehicle but I do need to arrange a better box to transport it in.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Congratulations on your Chamonix 11x14. Have been using mine for almost 2 years and just love it.

Carrying it around was a problem. I would spread out everything in the back of my mid-sized SUV only to have it bounced around while driving. What I finally did is purchase a very used Sinar case made for the Norma 8x10 system. Gutted out the left side and glued in fitted pieces of garage flooring to protect the camera. Left side of case holds folded camera, WA bellows, and 2 holders. Right side lenses in Sinar boards with the focusing cloth over them. Whole thing a bit heavy to carry long distances but no problem for short walks.

Looks like Chamonix increased the size of the lens board. Mine uses standard Sinar boards.

Enjoy....
    hi greg

the empire that i have originally came with a large canvas covered cardboard box with a set of leather straps ( tie down the top )
    a handle and corner/feet. it was plush lined.
    when the camera was mailed to me it arrived in the box but the box was not in good shape ...
    i've peeled the canvas off of it, and have made a template ( sort of ) .. when i get the right kind of cardboard
    i'll make the cuts, fold it up and cover it with fabric store canvas and doc-dads like tie down and straps.
    the problem is the cardboard i have found isn't the same gauge and i'll have to glue 2 thinner sheets together cross grain
    ( like making ply wood ) to make it more durable. its really not a hard project &c just finding the time/energy to do it is the hard part ...
    after i make it i'll post a photo to this thread, it might be an easy solution to the always present problem of storage and transport of
    a large folding camera.

good luck !
    john

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi greg

the empire that i have originally came with a large canvas covered cardboard box with a set of leather straps ( tie down the top )
    a handle and corner/feet. it was plush lined.
    when the camera was mailed to me it arrived in the box but the box was not in good shape ...
    i've peeled the canvas off of it, and have made a template ( sort of ) .. when i get the right kind of cardboard
    i'll make the cuts, fold it up and cover it with fabric store canvas and doc-dads like tie down and straps.
    the problem is the cardboard i have found isn't the same gauge and i'll have to glue 2 thinner sheets together cross grain
    ( like making ply wood ) to make it more durable. its really not a hard project &c just finding the time/energy to do it is the hard part ...
    after i make it i'll post a photo to this thread, it might be an easy solution to the always present problem of storage and transport of
    a large folding camera.

good luck !
    john
    I ordered one of these for my ROC King that is 17x17x4.5 but I know they have bigger ones: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...C&A=details&Q=

multiplex

that looks really nice!
    and more than likely
    half the price of the
    box I hoped to build ...
    the cardboard sheets
    are less than $2 each ..
    the cloth ( inside and out )
    probably costs $20-30 ...
    and a big old vat of pva and paste
    probably $20... the straps and corners
    probably $10-20 ... and then he effort
    to cut, glue, paste stitch ... probably excessive for
    a cardboard box ...

thanks for the link !

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    that looks really nice!
    and more than likely
    half the price of the
    box I hoped to build ...
    the cardboard sheets
    are less than $2 each ..
    the cloth ( inside and out )
    probably costs $20-30 ...
    and a big old vat of pva and paste
    probably $20... the straps and corners
    probably $10-20 ... and then he effort
    to cut, glue, paste stitch ... probably excessive for
    a cardboard box ...

thanks for the link !
    Welcome!

I realize it's been a while since I posted but thought a picture of my 11X14 sliding box camera and stand might add to the earlier post.

Quote Originally Posted by blindpig View Post
    I realize it's been a while since I posted but thought a picture of my 11X14 sliding box camera and stand might add to the earlier post.
    Interesting solution to stand and tilts. I assume the camera rotates on the stand?
    Tin Can

Actually this is an older picture the stand has been upgraded to 16" wheels as the 10" ones didn't move over rough ground easily.The stand comes apart to fit in my car trunk.To answer your question the camera has tilts both lens and back and the stand's camera base tilts as well however the stand must rotate as the camera doesn't.