Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 11x14 experiences - please share yours

Re: 11x14 experiences - please share yours

I look forward to more!

Couple of quick questions on 11x14:

I think there are 2 standards for film holders - one for X-ray and the other photographic - right?

Is HP5 readily available in 11x14?

Thanks.

I don't intend to upstage Duolab123. Just more meat for the thread. This is a Folmer & Schwing 11x14 camera that I've had for about 8 years. It came with only an 8x10 back and was advertised as an 8x10 camera. But it's clearly intended for 11x14 as the rear standard opening is right at 16 inches square. Four sections of bed. The bellows extends to 52 inches.
    I still have designs on it for someday...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FS1114_1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	146558

Name:	FS1114_2.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	146559

Name:	FS1114_3.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	146560

Can't answer on holders. I think there is no standard for T.

11x14 HP5 is in stock usually at Freestyle, Adorama and B$H.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ambrose View Post

I think there are 2 standards for film holders - one for X-ray and the other photographic - right?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ambrose View Post

Thanks.
    Fidelity actually made only one 11x14 standard for film use. When it was used for X-rays, they added plastic extensions on each side of the film holder using 4 screws and labeled the the holder Fidelity MEDICAL CASSETTE. Take the 4 screws on each side out and remove the 2 extensions and back again to the photographic film holder.

B&H stocks 11x14 Ilford HP5 film. 25 sheets for $199.95. 8 bucks a pop sounds like a lot of money but actually less than 2 rolls of 120 film...

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    I don't intend to upstage Duolab123. Just more meat for the thread. This is a Folmer & Schwing 11x14 camera that I've had for about 8 years. It came with only an 8x10 back and was advertised as an 8x10 camera. But it's clearly intended for 11x14 as the rear standard opening is right at 16 inches square. Four sections of bed. The bellows extends to 52 inches.
    I still have designs on it for someday...

Name:	FS1114_1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	146558

Name:	FS1114_2.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	146559

Name:	FS1114_3.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	146560
    This is almost identical to mine, I think the only difference is mine has brass knobs instead of the wood one on your camera. And mine has a 11x14 back. I counted today and I have 8 double film holders.

According to this site these were made from 1915 to 1929 mine says Folmer and Schwing Division of Eastman Kodak Co.

http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/ekc/fscom.htm

Nice camera!

After entering into LF with 13x18cm/5x7", it was immediately clear to me that I want to use bigger formats, too.
    8x10" developed to an expensive system, especially slide film; my Durst 138 Laborators can't pick 8x10" negatives, contact prints are not that big, so no option to me.

My experience after buying a pack of 11x14" paper has been, that 11x14" is a bit tiny to as for a big size.
    I only love to print from 30x40cm (12x16") up to bigger prints.

So I had to look for a 30x40cm camera, but over some years, nothing good came in.
    Meanwhile, I first bought a german 24x30cm Reisekamera and played around a bit.

One day I was able to buy an ugly version of a 30x40 cm russian Reisekamera.
    Not the camera is ugly, but the bellows; it seems to be crocodile or elephant skin, it is a little bit - hard.
    But the bellows does his job, so what?

Surprisingly, some months later a german 30x40cm Reisekamera came in.

No, I am not a collector, so I decided to sell the russian camera, but it shows that I was the one and only who loved to buy her.
    Yes, now I am a collector of two big cameras.

Using one for the home and the other for the field seems to be a good idea, but I really don't need two such big cameras...
    Now I want to rebuilt something of the russian lady, and maybe I will sell the german version.
    Or maybe I will keep both, who knows.

I figured out that the film holders are really heavy, and they may pull down the back standard after focusing and loading the holder.
    In my opinion, such big cameras in general need a better static than given by the engineers, so I have to bring some moveable rods to the standards.

Until the holders, the standards, the bellows and other small parts will fit perfect, of course I can use my big cameras, but I am lucky to be able to switch to the smaller formats 13x18cm and 4x5" for the daily photographing.

I prefer to tape my ULF film sheets from two sides onto aluminium plates, which fits into the holder.
    No problem with flatness.

I can (probably, haven't done) use a 305mm G-Claron, a 360mm Heliar, a 420mm Dagor, a 480mm and a 520mm Apo Ronar.
    Two other lenses may cover, too.

Xray film is available in 30x40cm, and I am really not willing to afford ULF Ilfords.
    Maco Ortho 25 is a nice and to me affordable film, too, and some day I will buy a pack.
    10 sheets, 90 Euro...

The only thing I really miss, is a longer Verito.
    I am looking forward to save some money for such a lens.
    Sometimes I have the idea to give up/sell my german Reisekamera, keeping my russian camera and buying a Verito.

For me it seems that a live without a Verito is possible, but it makes no sense.

Ritchie

Love your story.

I am same.

Logic be damned.

The problem is, if there would come in a third one - I probably would take her, too.
    Buying a third one and then selling two of them seems to be a good technique for avoiding a collection :-)
    But first, I need "my" lens.

Ritchie

multiplex

hi ritchie

do you have a 14" verito ?
    you can unscrew one of the elements the focal lenth is 24"
    (according to wollensak ).

i'm hooked on a noname brass RR sold to me by RR,
    and a 1a 3x convertible i bought from igor. with both of them, the OOF areas
    are really really nice. and i didn't have to sell a kidney.

good luck !