Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 11x14 experiences - please share yours

Re: 11x14 experiences - please share yours

Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
    Got the larger 14x17 Chamonix brother to your 11x14. It's a beast, barely manageable for one person, better with two. Still the negatives speak for themselves. Now the weather is clearing in San Francisco, I've got to get it out while we still have some billowy clouds and not too much wind. As for lenses, here is my two cents on ones that cover 14x17 and will give you insane amounts of rise and fall with your camera! http://www.angusparkerphoto.com/blog...ndations-14x17

PS. It's great to see so many old lenses being remounted in shutter by Grimes - a wonderful way to bring them back to life.
    Good Gawd. Another person afflicted with the condition commonly referred to as Excessively Large Camera Syndrome (ELCS) and all of the periphery of devices that are connected to this condition. Complete agreement with your three go to lens in the 355 G Claron, the 450M Nikon and the 600C Fuji. For my 11x14 V11 I added the Doctor 760 APO Germinal in Copal 3, the 35" Red Dot aluminum barrel in #5 Ilex and sometimes reach for the 21" Ektanon on barrel. I will also convey that once I happened upon a Majestic tripod with the large 6" base plate that has this amazing capability of being able to hoist that camera upward for optimal image making perspective, my Reis A100 is a lonely boy in its case absent this amazing capability. The lightweight aluminum ladder now is is also close at hand just in case. The ability to change the viewing perspective in the vertical horizon can be a real game changer IMHO.

Angus thanks for your article on ulf lenses. I read it before going with a 450 Nikkor for my diy 11x14 which will be upgraded to 14x17 soon. Really hoping my addiction for massive negatives stops at 14x17.

Pali

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    Angus thanks for your article on ulf lenses. I read it before going with a 450 Nikkor for my diy 11x14 which will be upgraded to 14x17 soon. Really hoping my addiction for massive negatives stops at 14x17.

Pali
    It will pass - 14x17 is as big as you need to go. You can even split the plate and get a pano 7x17!

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Or build an 8 x 20 and 14 x 17 like I did! Finishing up my 3rd 14 x 17 now for a friend. Will have a separate build thread soon.....I hope

I have a Folmer & Schwing, commercial camera, I bought it almost 30 years back along with 8 or 9 holders. Wood is immaculate, bellows are intact 99 year old bellows. Havery a Turner & Reich, very old Wollensak shutter thats in pieces. I haven't used for years I recently picked up a 14 inch Ilex Caltar with the enormous #5 shutter. I'm going to start this week with just some test shots inside. Maybe I will take some pictures of other old stuff. This camera folds up nicely, it has two extension rails, bellows can extend at least 5 feet.
    Everytime I think my V8 Deardorff is to big to carry I just set it next to this.
    Then I grab a Crown Graphic and go shoot hand held. ��
    The results are stunning but man is this stuff a lot of work!

I would like to see pics of that camera. A few of us have 11x14 Studio Deardorff with the huge stand. 75" of extension. I have posted in 'Show off your LF cam' thread and pictures of Deardoff abound.

But yours is rarely seen.

multiplex

hi greg

i have a century 8a on a semi centennial stand, it came with a carriage 8x10 back that i never really used
    IDK 10 years ago i found a 7x11 back ( here on this forum ) with a handful of film holders that i began using it.
    i made and use a 11x14 back and paper holder for it too. i don't use it as much as i used to, it is mostly used for
    portrait making ( with both backs ). long exposed paper negatives. i use it with a wollensak 1a triple convertible.
    i looked for years for a 11x14 film holder and eventually found a whole empire state camera, with 11x14 and 8x10 backs together
    with a gaggle of film holders. it was bought a year ago and i have never bothered to see if it fit the century, im not sure if it does
    and at this point it really doesn't matter seeing i can just take the empire state on the road if i have to.
    i don't bother with film, or xray or lith film, it seems paper does the same thing, so i just use what i have lying around .. and if i need color i will just add it myself.
    i have't coated anything bigger than 8x10, but i'll be hand coating bigger sizes of paper and metal with either bottled or hand made silver gelatin emulsion.
    i'd say glass plates, but i don't have any plate holders bigger than 8x10 .. the empire state uses a brass lens bought for not too much $$ from a forum member, and a tin tea cup for a shutter.

My experiences? Well right now I need to develop the film that has been sitting in holders longer than it is good for the latent images, so that I can head out into the desert and expose some more next week.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I would like to see pics of that camera. A few of us have 11x14 Studio Deardorff with the huge stand. 75" of extension. I have posted in 'Show off your LF cam' thread and pictures of Deardoff abound.

But yours is rarely seen.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150712_153937_resized.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	146547

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150712_153937_resized.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	146547
    Randy , I'm not very swift with attaching photos here's one from my phone . I will get a couple better photos and post later
    Best Mike