Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can one be a pro landscape photographer anymore?

Re: Can one be a pro landscape photographer anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Ed Burtynsky comes to mind as a example of someone making his sole income from his landscape work.
    I thought he also owned a photo lab?

And how long did it take before he could make a living at it. It took me about 3 years or so but I had a working wife and my "living" was pretty minimal for many years.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I think Ed - still has his work printed there and he may have an office Studio in the same building but he is a whole industry to himself and is extremely busy with his personal work.

I would say he exploded on the Scene and started to make real money around 2001 - which meant the Lab supported him for about 15 years.

I always use him as an example of an overnight sensation and it only took him 20 years.

His ex wife has been running Toronto Image Works for a few years now and is doing a fantastic job.

I think in most cases 15 years is a good timeline if you are serious and have talent and drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I thought he also owned a photo lab?

And how long did it take before he could make a living at it. It took me about 3 years or so but I had a working wife and my "living" was pretty minimal for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by bentbikr View Post
    Ansel Adams. It took him about six years, and his wife had income from the Yosemite store.
    I don't believe Ansel made any real money with his photography until into the 70's; and, at that time, he was nearing or into his 70's! Over the years, he did many commercial jobs and wrote books to help support his family. The Best family (his wife Virginia) was wealthy and I'm sure the store in Yosemite did well. I think the point is is that most photographers have to pursue many paths in order to earn a living. I spent my entire career in IT and did photography as a hobby. I've done the occasional portrait job and sold a few pieces, but I never even entertained the thought of going full-time into photography. I admire those that have and made a livable wage at the same time.

The short answer is no, not without any previous exposure or showings. I guess if you were just really, really, really good, and showed work at craft fairs and such and got really, really lucky with buyers, and finally was a fantastic salesman, maybe, but probably not.

It's doable after a lot of work and time, but not just immediately.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Someone is going to get that juicy job posted soon.

Some -one- being the operative word. Also, they won't be a "new" photographer; they'll likely be someone with many years of experience in both photography and historical preservation work.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Drew Wiley

I think outdoor stock photography would be a very long shot these day unless you have a very unique niche. Way too many people doing it, the digital revulsion
    has dropped fees to next to nothing, and frankly, the next wave of advertising use is going to be heavy in action cam stuff rather than stills. There is probably still opportunity to live in some scenic area and open a small regional gallery catering to visitors, provided the overhead is reasonable. But lots of that kind of thing is seasonal, just like ski resorts and restaurants, and a single bad year from forest fires or highway problem can set a person way behind. Location, location, location. Also depends on your income expectations and family responsibilities. And how much are you willing to bend your work to public taste rather than your own? Very very few famous photographers ever made a living on their art per se. Most of them had to do some kind of commercial work or teaching on the side. Being a Bohemian can be pretty lonely, so the starving artist route doesn't work for everyone. I'll probably find out soon; but I'll be buffered with
    multiple sources of retirement income. When I was considerably younger and could still burn the candle at both ends, I managed to get spurts of serious income
    from print sales, but could never depend upon it.

Clyde Butcher did it/does it.
    Not only a super landscaper, but also a super marketer. (Also, happens to be a super nice guy.)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Maybe... If a photographer already has a body of great work ready to show.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Ansel Adams was a working commercial photographer for most of his career. He worked hard to promote himself as an artist, and photography itself as an art form, for probably thirty years before seeing any real financial return... he was past what people today call "retirement age" by then, but he never slowed down.
    No artist starts from nowhere... you must have a worthy body of work, emphasis on work. See Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee, at michaelandpaula.com for inspiration.