Thread: Cropped Images?

Cropped Images?

I've been away from this form for quite awhile and after reading some of the news threads it's my understanding that in this forum, LF is now defined as 4"x5" or larger. 6x9, 6x12, and 6x17 are not considered LF as the narrow width is less than 4". If I've missed a thread that explains all this I apologize in advance.

So to post an image it has to have been made on 4x5 or larger film.

What if I take an image on 4x5 film and crop the print to use 2.25" x 3.25" of the 4x5 negative? Is the image still considered LF? And if it is, what is the difference if the same image was made on 2.25" x 3.25" sheet film? The cropped image is LF and is postable but the equivalent image made in a 6x9 view camera is not LF so it can not be posted?

The same question can be asked about an image cropped from a 5x7 negative to use a 6x17 area of the film vs the same image made with a 6x17 camera to start with (assuming that the same focal length lens were used).

Or a 3.25" x 4.25" Speed Graphic image and a 4x5 Speed Graphic image cropped to use 3.25" x 4.25" of the 4x5" negative?

I use a Cambo 23SF view camera with roll backs and SFH (and a Crown Graphic 23). Years ago I gave away my 5x7 view camera to my brother but kept my 5x7 enlarger primarily to print 6x17 images (when I can afford to get a 6x17 camera ).

So are cropped 4x5 images allowed or not allowed?

Thanks!
    Tony
    Newnan, GA
    Cambo 23SF

Re: Cropped Images?

As far as I am concerned, Large Format is a state of mind, not a negative size.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

First you should know that there is an entire forum here for posting images that are less than 4x5 - Image Sharing (everything else). It's quite active with threads for medium format, tiny format and 6x17. As for cropped LF images, I forget the rules - you can read the FAQS.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

I forgot the rules as well, but I thought I read that LF was sheet film no matter what the size all else that uses roll film is considered medium format. I might be wrong and I probably am : P
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

And while were on this subject, why shouldn't images made with Fuji instant films be allowed in the main part of the forum too? The difference in image size between the now discontinued 4x5 Fuji instant film and the still available but little bit smaller size is just a couple of centimeters or so in each dimension, and it is certainly quite a bit larger than medium format, so why should it be relegated to the everything else section? It just seems sensible to consider anything larger than 120 roll film as large format. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by TAG View Post
    And while were on this subject, why shouldn't images made with Fuji instant films be allowed in the main part of the forum too? The difference in image size between the now discontinued 4x5 Fuji instant film and the still available but little bit smaller size is just a couple of centimeters or so in each dimension, and it is certainly quite a bit larger than medium format, so why should it be relegated to the everything else section? It just seems sensible to consider anything larger than 120 roll film as large format. Just my two cents.
    They are allowed.

For me, large format is 4x5 or larger. Anything smaller, or digital, stick it in the image sharing everything else forum. That's what I do.

Look across the horizion, I see another sh!t storm coming...
    Cheers Shane

A reminder, for those who haven't looked at the Forum guidelines in a long while:

Commonly accepted definitions base large format photography on 4"x5" and larger sheet film (or the 9x12 cm metric equivalent), regardless of the style of camera being used. This is the definition we will use. We would also consider a digital back with a nominal sensor size of 4"x5" or larger to be LF, as well, regardless of technology. Over time, these definitions and boundaries have changed. The current definition was established in September, 2014.

Quarter-plate Fujiroid, like regular quarter-plate sheet film, counts as "everything else" under the current rule.

Re cropping, here's what Rick posted in the "LF Clarification" thread in response to the same question:

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Ken and I will arm-wrestle over it. We will agree that we don't want to make or have to enforce a rule about it.

But let's just say there's not much point in hassling with large format if we are going to crop it down to 35mm. But we all crop images. If you think you've cropped it down to the point where you feel guilty calling it large format, then put it in Everything Else.

Hint: saying "I cropped this down to 1x1.5" but I can post it here. I can, I tell you!" Will be considered a sign of a guilty conscience.

Rick "seriously, use your own judgment" Denney