Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gestalt Photography

Gestalt Photography

Just curious as we learned here that Brett Weston worked very quickly, intuitively

and California remains a leader in thought, imaging and philosophy

???
    Tin Can

Re: Gestalt Photography

Brett was no alone in working intuitively. Of the dozen or so Carmel photographers with whom I associated, most worked in a very similar manner. After all, they had many years of experience on which to depend.

I think it is important to remember that personality comes strongly into play in being creative...in how one creates. I tend to be more analytical under the darkcloth, but sparked and guided by the intuitive and spontanenous decision to set up the camera to work with the light in front of me. The definition of "Gestalt" does not include a time-frame.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Since Time as continuum does not exist per current experts

Everything is Gestalt
    Tin Can

Which experts said that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post

I know better than to Tango with you, a Permanent Angry Expert

Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Which experts said that?
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

An expert which time caught up with? I wonder if Einstein feels like a continuum at the moment? Brett might have worked faster and more intuitively with his med format cameras rather than the big wooden clunker he began with. In that case, is time more a function inverse to mass and volume, rather than Gestalt? One more thing Einstein got wrong, besides the fact gravity and weight increase with time; my 8x10 backpack tells me that.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post

Everything is Gestalt
    A friend was telling me about time, that past present and future are all at the same time. I have a feeling
    this is all a beta test anyways, next time we won't think about linear or nonlinear or rectilinear or circular time
    things will just be.. and we'll just live in the moment ..

I don't know what Gestalt Photography is but I imagine it is like being on "auto pilot". .. and being so familiar with one's materials and gear
    so we don't have to think about anything is the point, right ?

Westons, Adams etc. all seem to have been well practiced enough that setting up/working their big LF clunkers was second nature. I’ll never have anything close to that facility/speed (I’m extremely slow with a LF camera).

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    An expert which time caught up with? I wonder if Einstein feels like a continuum at the moment? Brett might have worked faster and more intuitively with his med format cameras rather than the big wooden clunker he began with. In that case, is time more a function inverse to mass and volume, rather than Gestalt? One more thing Einstein got wrong, besides the fact gravity and weight increase with time; my 8x10 backpack tells me that.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    A friend was telling me about time, that past present and future are all at the same time. I have a feeling
    this is all a beta test anyways, next time we won't think about linear or nonlinear or rectilinear or circular time
    things will just be.. and we'll just live in the moment ..

I don't know what Gestalt Photography is but I imagine it is like being on "auto pilot". .. and being so familiar with one's materials and gear
    so we don't have to think about anything is the point, right ?
    That might be more like Zen Photography. . I see it as being the opposite -- being so familiar with one's material and gear (and way of seeing, etc) that one can consider (think about, imagine, see) everything coming together at the point of creation...or perhaps it is all the same thing...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China