Thread: Premium 8.5 X 14 Printer Paper

Premium 8.5 X 14 Printer Paper

Currently I am limited to printing 8X10/8.5X11 and it will be a while before I can afford a wide format printer. Some of my images lend themselves to a more panoramic aspect ratio. I know that regular paper comes in 8.5X14 (legal size) and a couple of lower quality photo papers do as well. Do any high quality photo papers, preferably rag or at least a premium matte, come in 8.5X14?

Dear Edward,

You can always cut down 11x17 paper. If your printer can handle it, you may be able to use the entire 17" length.

Neal, would the paper not being standard size play havoc with the printer drivers?

Edward,

Perhaps you've figured it out by now, but here's my first contribution to the forum FWIW.

Re. the printer's ability to handle irregular-size papers

I use a Canon printer, and it lets you choose "custom size" paper and specify its dimensions up to 15.54 (W) x 23.39 (H)" in the print window (Print>Property>Page Setup>Page Size). The width is naturally limited to the printer's physical size (8.5"-- I guess Canon uses the same driver/software component for different printers), but the hight is not with an inkjet. I did some experiments and could print "tall" files by adjusting the hight within the range. It's doable if your printer allows the same/similar setting.

The custom size paper setting is useful to print two panoramic images on one 8.5x11" paper as well. The printer puts the image in the middle of the paper if you tell the printer that the paper is 8.5x11", leaving unusable white areas. If you set the paper size to, say, 4x11", the printer puts the image on one side. Then you can flip the paper and use the other side. There is no need to pre-cut the paper. You just "tell" the printer what the paper size is. The same idea with the "panorama dark slide." For me, every half a sheet of paper saved goes toward the purchase of a new lens.

Re. the availability of irregular-size papers

Although I have no idea if irregular-size premium papers are available, wouldn't it be substantially more expensive to buy anything (paper, picture frame, shoes, etc.) if it's outside regular factory specs? I think Neal's idea of trimming a regular-size paper is great. It may be the most economical solution even if you need to cut 8.5x14" out of a 11x17" paper. Also if the printer can't print taller than legal (14"), I don't see any problem with putting the extra 3 inches through the printer. It would be easier if you are framing the print as the extra white will be behind the matte. Or leave it for a "tab" to hold the print.

I also like panoramic images and will definitely try larger prints using your idea.