Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Age of Wollensak 6¼" (159mm) Extreme W.A.

Photographer

Age of Wollensak 6¼" (159mm) Extreme W.A.

Here's another one:

6 1/4" (159MM) f 9.5 C/W symbol Raptar Wide Angle No. C20333 in Rapax.

Interesting crime story developing.
    Keith Pitman

Here is another one>

Wollensak Velostigmat Wide Angle Ser. III f9.5 8x10 6 1/4" Focus
    SN 2611xx in a Betax No. 3 shutter. Can't tell much from the pat. number, but the shutter has been stamped with Pat. Nov. 21, 1922. It is an uncoated lens.

BTW, this lens came without a retaining ring; does anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks. JON

Photographer

I have a copy of a 1920 Wollensak catatog that lists "The Series III Wide Angle Velostigmat F:9.5" The text begins, "Generally speaking, no photographer's equipment--especially that of the commercial man--is complete without a wide angle lens."

It lists four lenses in this series. Number 5 is listed for 8x10, focal length of 6.25 inches, working aperture of 5/8 inch, in barrel for $49.50, and in an Optimo shutter for $61.00.

Elsewhere, is listed an f16 Extreme Wide Angle. No f12.5 in that day apparently.

Finally, they state in the beginning, "Everything entering into the manufacture of Wollensak products is of American origin, except French glass, which we have found preferable for certain high-grade lenses."

No information on serial numbers.
    Keith Pitman

And more data: "Anastigmat Extreme W. A." f:12.5 version, purple Wolcoat symbol but no dots, mounted in an Alphax shutter, lens serial number is 956590.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Okay, you guys have dragged me into this...

I have the lowest # 6 1/4" Wollensak posted yet, I think. The engraving in its entirety, (sorry `bout the caps, but that's how it's written on the rim,) reads:

"WOLLENSAK 8x10 SERIES IIIA EX.W.A. f12.5 6 1/4" FOCUS No 12252."

It's uncoated in a Pi-ALPHAX shutter, which may not be original, as the aperture and shutter speed scales are stick-ons.

Neat little lens. I've wanted a coated version, but since you guys started talking about them the price has shot up. (Now in the $300-$400 range.) Ended up going with a 150mm GRII instead. I think the discussions here affect ebay prices. (Maybe in the future when I see a lens I want I'll post something here about what turds they are...)
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I've wanted a coated version, but since you guys started talking about them the price has shot up. (Now in the $300-$400 range.)

Mark,

I know you were kidding (I think). The two auctions I mentioned above ended before I started this thread. So, no influence on the final prices. In addition to demand, I think the condition of those two examples had a lot to do with the prices the fetched. Still, $332.75 for an 8x10 wide angle, in shutter, in unused condition is a pretty good deal. The shutter does need a CLA, but the total cost will still be under $400.

BTW, my lens arrived today. It was a little bit dusty, but I gave it a good cleaning and it really does sparkle like new. I'll try to post a jpeg or two this weekend.

Kerry

"I've wanted a coated version, but since you guys started talking about them the price has shot up. (Now in the $300-$400 range.)
    Mark,

I know you were kidding (I think). "

Actualy, I have a feeling previous discussions on here may have pushed up the prices of the Wolly 159's

I bid on several two or three years ago (finally getting one at a decent price) - all in decent condition - and all went for around 175.00 250.00 max

I'm pretty sure our discussions of the Kowa 210's etc have driven their price up... (the discussions here have even been quoted in some ebay ads)

So yep, maybe it's time to keep quiet and/or trash that obscure lens you are looking for.

I hear the 180mm f9 carl zeiss dagor is a real dog - best use for them is as a doorstop. Apparently they made the elements out of old lager bottles as a post-war cost saving measure... :-)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Ah, but that I were kidding, Tim; a nice-sounding coated yellow-dot went on March 8 for $394.99, (ebay item #3879200323). Hopefully just another ebay anomally.

Yeah, I've heard about those 180mm Zeiss Dagors being dogs too; I think they're a recognized breed with the American Kennel Club. (There, now you say something bad about the 12" Dagor...)
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Ah, but that I were kidding, Tim; a nice-sounding coated yellow-dot went on March 8 for $394.99, (ebay item #3879200323). Hopefully just another ebay anomally.

Mark,

That's the lens I referenced in my original post. That auction ended a few hours before I started this thread (I purposely waited for the acution to close before posting). So, this discussion had nothing to do with the final bid price on that particular lens.

While merely mentioning something in a discussion group may have an effect on prices on eBay, I started this thread with the intent of trying to determine the age, not the value, of my lenses. I haven't commented on the performance, nor made other comments about the quality of these lenses. I'm just looking for clues in determining the approximate age of these lenses. Selling prices are determined by the market. On an open auction site like eBay, the prices are generally a direct reflection of what people are willing to pay. Repeated glowing recommendations may drive up the demand, but that hasn't happened in this thread. I suspect there are other forces at work here.

First, prices for photo gear on eBay usually peak about this time of year. People who shoot outdoors are getting ready for Spring and Summer trips. And many people are also spending their tax returns on the goodies they put off buying all winter. More buyers = higher prices.

Price is also a reflection of condition. The two lenses linked above were in exceptional condition - much better than average. Finally, there is supply. As near as I can tell, 159mm f12.5 Extreme Wide Angle was made for more than 50 years. There seems to be a steady flow of used lens on the market. It seems like there's always one or two up for bid on eBay. It certainly isn't anywhere near as rare as the 18cm f9 Zeiss Dagor. In terms of availability, it seems to be in about the same ballpark as the 165mm f6.8 Angulon and the 190mm f6.3 WF Ektar. Not something likely to be in stock at your corner camera camera store, but certainly not rare by any stretch of the imagination.

Of course, I do plan to test the two Wollensak 159mm f12.5 Extreme Wide Angles I have, along with a 150mm f6.8 APO Kyvytar, 150mm f9 Computar, 150mm f9 Graphic-Kowa and a coulple more compact 150s capable of covering 5x7 (and hopefully 4x10). At some point, I'll probably publish the results - and that may, or may not, cause a mometary blip in demand. Of course, that blip may be up or down, depending on the results. If they all turn out to be dogs, you might be able to pick one up for a song.

I have noticed the prices on the 210mm and longer Computars and Graphic Kowas going up. There aren't a lot of alternatives for ULF shooters. Prices on the 150mm f9 Computars and Graphic-Kowas seem to be much lower and more stable. Neither of these cover 8x10, and there are plenty of other 150s for the 4x5 and 5x7 shooter. Again, it all comes down to supply and demand.

Kerry

Kerry

Elsewhere, is listed an f16 Extreme Wide Angle. No f12.5 in that day apparently.

Keith,

Intersting data. The first 8x10 lens I ever owned was an old f12.5 Wollensak Extreme Wide Angle. I sold the lens about 10 years ago, and doubt if I can find the serial number. I'm nearly 100% sure that it pre-dated your 1920 catalog. It the cells were lacquered brass, it was in an ancient Regno shutter (that actually worked) and no focal length was marked on the lens - it just said 8x10 Extreme Wide Angle. If I had to guess, I'd estimate it was made between 1905 and 1915.

Oddly enough, the f12.5 version of the 6¼" Wollensak Ext. WA is also absent from my 1954 catalog. I find that strange, as that seems to be right smack in the middle of Wollensak's peak of production. It's listed in earlier and later catalogs, but not in the 1954 publication. Maybe they were pushing the more expensive f9.5 version at that time.

Kerry