Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to Travelwide ? > Linhof Technica Handheld Realistic ?

Red face Alternatives to Travelwide ? > Linhof Technica Handheld Realistic ?

Dear All,
    I have been checking the first pictures coming from the early batch of Travelwide users and found the sharpness level not good enough
    Maybe this is due to the quality of the JPEGs uploaded on the forum, but this prompts me the need to raise the following question:
    What else exists to shoot LF hand held ?
    Is the Linhof M. technica hand held a realistic proposition ?

I am aware that I am proposing religious syncretism to an orthodox community, but is there anyone who wants to share his/her experience in using LF hand held ?

The obvious reference are press cameras in the 30's but I'd be interested to see published works made with an LF hand held. Judging from the results is, I guess, better than a discussion about principles. Equally interesting anything shot quicklywith an LF camera (you can replace quickly with un-orthodoxically, like placing the camera on the ground etc.).

Thanks for your understanding

Re: Alternatives to Travelwide ? > Linhof Technica Handheld Realistic ?

If the Travelwide interested you then you might also check the long discontinued Linhof Technar system as well.

Given a comparable quality lens and the TW setup properly, there is absolutely no reason to believe that a Technica would give sharper results. You are right-one should not try and sharpness based on web jpegs.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Wow. I hope you're not printing the 72dpi jpegs for your comparisons.

A much heavier camera could be more stable handheld. Could! A weakling like me may tremble and shake under the load.

Any camera can be made heavier. I leave a heavy QR plate on my TW, which also let's it sit on the table better.

But I mostly shoot it handheld with flashbulbs, gasp! Speed-light, or even a studio strobe. That makes images sharp also.

If we include the Super Technika vs TW then of course the advantage of an accurate coupled rangefinder is clear.

I'm using a Linhof select lens (90mm Angulon) on my Travelwide... If you want critical sharpness, then you do all the things you normally do: use a faster film so you can use faster shutter speeds and smaller apertures, OR put the device on a tripod. I have used my Linhof Standard press handheld, and the only advantage I can find with that is that it's weight and shape give me more consistently level pictures. However, I'd much prefer the weight of the Travelwide slung around my neck over long walking distances. You almost forget it's there.

In printing - the Travelwide only seems unsharp to me when I've made unsharp photographs - it's not the camera per se!! (it's technique)

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Honestly I haven't noticed a major difference in shots from my TW90 compared with shots from my Pacemaker Speed. What you're probably seeing is compression artifacts from the low resolution JPGs.

For what it is and what I can do with it (and the incredibly small price) I'm very happy with my TW90.

Fotoman makes a fix cone 4x5 camera but it's really too heavy for hand held use. Chamonix used to make a rangefinder type 4x5.

There was a 6-page thread on this a while back. I even posted photos. I shoot a lot of handheld work with my Technika and various lenses.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ghlight=linhof

And the answer is yes, of course it's realistic, as it was designed that way! However, I can guarantee you the sharpness "issue" you see has nothing to do with the camera in question (I have a TW as well). Let's not forget the Linhof III could come with the same 90mm Angulon back in the day.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome