Thread: Minolta Autometer IV vs. Sekonic L-718

Minolta Autometer IV vs. Sekonic L-718

I recently bought a Minolta Autometer IV to replace my Sekonic L-398M Studio II. It's a great meter, very simple to use and dead accurate. But I now notice that Sekonic has dropped the price of the L-718 to roughly the same as the Minolta. The Sekonic, judging by the published info, has more features for the money. And it comes with certain attachments (like the flat incident disc and reflected li ght attachment) that are extra for the Minolta. I live in a small city with poor ly stocked camera stores and cannot compare the two meters side-by-side. I could exchange the Minolta if I wanted to, but I am reluctant to give up a meter that works so well for one that I cannot check out in person. (I would have to order the Sekonic sight- unseen.) Can anyone help me? http://www.ravenvision.com/rvapeter.htm

That should read "Minolta Autometer IVF" not IV

Peter - I have owned a Minolta IVF for almost fours years, and it has been one of the best investments I have ever made. It's been dropped, submerged, etc, etc, and continues to be extremely accurate. I did alot of research before I purchased it, and basically came to the same point that you are asking. Which is better, Minolta or Sekonic? I basically came to the decision that they are equal in terms of construction. The main decisive factor came down to something very simple....how it felt in my hand. The Minolta feels very nice in the palm of your hand, while the Sekonic (for some odd reason) feels a little strange. This is, however, just my opinion. I'd stick with the Minolta. Don't bother with the 5 degree spot attachment, though.......If you need a spot meter, buy it seperatly. (The 5 degree attachment, on any meter, isn't nearly as accurate as a 1 degree.) Hope this helps a little.

If you use incident meter, the Sekonic has a really neat feature, it enables the meter to lock on, so when light keeps changing in nature, I just glance down at the meter attached to the tripod... I bought it strictly for that feature... Good meter, either way you would be OK...

Hi Peter,

I have owned the Minolta meter for several years, and as as studio food photographer, have been quite pleased with it's performance. I have looked at your website, and you are a very talented and obviously experienced and capable photographer. I'm certain that either meter would NOT have any affect whatsoever on your creative vision and artistic ability. My 2 cents...!!!