Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darkroom Plans Available ?

Darkroom Plans Available ?

I am having some work done in my basement, and this may be the perfect time to put in a modest darkroom.

I know that everyone has their own ideas, but are there plans or sketches available in the public domain, so that I might compare options and discuss with the carpenter + plumber ?

Thanks in advance.

I have a small basement darkroom. I had to design mine around the layout of the basement. Two things that dictated the layout were the drain in the floor and one place where I could achieve the most clearance for my enlarger. Because of this the classic dry/wet side division of the space did not work for me.

I don't if plans are available.

Jim Ewins

Your local library probably has books on the subject. Many general books on photography will have plans and Kodak has a book just on the subject. I'm a retired architectural designer and General Contractor, but may give you some ideas if you wish. Better to communicate directly rather than on this forum, so email me.

Photographer

There are a number of books, but the key things to keep in mind (other than making the space truly dark) is the plumbing and electrical connections. In terms of space, you can get by with suprisingly little counter space if you have good sink space. It's always better to overbuild--in this case give yourself more floor space than you think you need as you'll fill it up eventually.
    Keith Pitman

You can never have too many electical outlets. I used two 6 foot power strips and a separate circuit/outlet for the enlarger. GFI's are a must.

I've done two basement darkrooms, and in each case the design was bounded by constraints in the underlying design of the house. Working around "lally columns" and an opening to a crawlspace - working (or blocking off) basement windows), dealing with load-bearing beams that cause the darkroom ceiling to have to be lowered, while still providing adequate vertical clearance to allow the enlarger head to move to the top of its column, etc.

My suggestion is that you look at as many darkrooms as possible to get ideas, and then look at the space you have to see how those ideas can be combined into something that is functional for you.

Some general ideas:

1. Electrical - provide a separate electrical circuit to the darkroom. GFIs on the recptacles near the wet side are an absolute requirement. I have always put a switch for the white (area) light near the enlarging station. Lots of receptacles. And then add more.

2. Plumbing - yeah, you need that. Hot and cold. I used a "bar sink faucet" set to provide enough space between the faucet and the bottom of the sink to fill a gallon bottle. Dealing with waste water is probably a challenge - think about a reservoir with a pump to move the gray water up to the elevation of the house drain. There are commercial versions of this, or you can do as I did and use a Rubbermaid tub and sump pump.

3. Ventillation - need that too. The best version is positive pressure where you blow filtered air into the darkroom, and then let it flow out on its own (that minimizes the tendency of the ventillation system to bring dust into the darkroom). I used "computer muffin fans" because they are much quieter than ordinary ventillation fans. Built a box between a couple of floor joints outside the darkroom with the fan in one end; put a furnace filter over the bottom of the box. Used a vinyl bathroom vent duct attached to the outlet of the fan with a louver inside the darkroom. Wired the fan to the master switch for the light circuit in the darkroom.

4. Counters - for my second project, I used inexpensive commercial cabinets from the home center and a laminated countertop. In the first darkroom, I just framed up a structure in 1x2" lumber, and used some scrap particle board that I had left over from an earlier project as the countertop. Put a couple of coats of polyurethane on particle board and it looks pretty nice.

5. Enlarger - in my first project, I mounted the enlarger on a small shelf attached to the wall studs, and then had shelves below the enlarger that could be set in one of three positions. This compensated for a low ceiling that limited the height of the enlarger. In the second darkroom, I put the enlarger in a corner. The commercial cabinets on either side supported a triangular particle-board shelf in the corner. Mounted the enlarger on that shelf. Built a recessed ceiling above the enlarger to allow the head to fully extend. Painted the wall behind the enlarger flat black to cut down on reflections of stray light.

If you are interested, I have a floor plan sketch that I could send you.

Go to Bob Herbst's website and look at his recommendations for ventilation. That is probably the most critical item particularly if you are doing any pt/pd work.

Cheers!

Not plans, but check out http://www.darkroomsource.net/design.shtml for great info on considerations and ideas

Dear Ken,

There is a thread in the darkroom section of the APUG forum showing photographs of several home darkrooms.

Neal Wydra

I can recommend this book. It has good info on laying out a darkroom and some plans for building various items like sinks, light-tight drawers, etc.

I second the web link Jane mentioned, too.