Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering purchasing a Calumet Wood Field XM

Considering purchasing a Calumet Wood Field XM

Thanks Brian, your information helped out a lot. The camera I am looking at has the gold colored brass hardware, so I guess it is a newer one. Since I would shoot mostly landscapes, I wouldn't need a lens with a long focal length. I also am glad to hear that it will except very wide lenses without bag bellows! Thanks for the info, John

Yes, it is possible to use lenses as short as 65mm with this camera but the bellows are pretty jammed up and not much movement is possible. Of course most 65mm lenses do not allow for much movement anyway

As I stated above before buying a camera I would suggest some/all of the reading I have listed. The key to selecting a camera are the features and the lenses it will accommodate.

steve simmons

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Well, I can use a 58mm Grandagon on mine, without a bag bellows or recessed board. Nyaah-nyaah!

John- I do a lot of landscapes also, and if I could have just one lens, it would probably be the 90mm you're thinking of. The 90mm Super-Angulon (& its clones) have more coverage, but the 90mm Angulon (& its clones) are so much smaller and lighter (and cheaper) that I prefer them. You can actually turn the lensboard around and fold the Angulon (but not the Super Angulon) lens up in the camera, which is a huge advantage for backpacking.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

The Angulon lernses are, by today's standards, of a relatively old design and will not compare in results (sharpness, contrast/saturation) to anything made in the last 20 years. I once had a 65mm Angulon that was not sharp at the edges of the image circle and only moderately so in the center. It may be small and light but I still would not use one.

Regarding the 58mm on a Tachihara/Calumet Woodfield XM this is also not a combination I would recommend to anyone. The fact that it can be done does not mean it is convenient. If I really wanted to use a len that wide I ould get a camera more suited to a lens of that focal length.

I wonder how many people really use a 58mm lens for general outdoor work. The more usual set of lenses would be beween 75/90 to maybe 300mm as the extremes at each end. I would consider the 58 to b an extreme wide angle for landscape work, It is more generally used for interior spaces.

Just my thoughts.

steve simmons

Well the Camera sold! Once I got over my anger (I'm actually still working on it) I've decided to keep looking for one of these cameras. I really like the fact of being able to use a 75 or 90mm lens on it. Anyone know where I can get ahold of a used tachihara or calumet woodfield camera???? Thanks, John

Octogenarian

John,

Don't be disapointed. Calumet woodfields are discontinued cameras. A newer and better camera will surely come along. Midwest Photo Exchange (www.mpex.com) is a direct dealer (importer) for Tachihara cameras. Call, or E-Mail Jim (and only Jim) . He frequently has previously owned or demo. cameras for sale at very reasonable prices.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Steve-

Yes, the 90mm Super Angulon is a more modern lens, and has better resolution, but my little Angulon is sharp to the corners with good contrast. (You'll have to trust me.) Considering the weight/size savings and price difference (usually half the price of the SA or less), I'd still call it a good lens for someone starting into large format on a budget, as John seems to be. (Yes, I know, some people won't settle for less than a new Schneider XL!) But your points are true and should be seriously considered.

I wouldn't bother with a 75mm if I already had a 90; not enough difference. I do like the 58mm, and it does fine on the little Calumet with the standard bellows; very little movement possible, but the coverage is so minimal that I can't use much for movements anyways. (See how well I can rationalize my lens choices?) I do admit I tend towards very wide lenses; I have a 75mm, but use it on an 8x10. To each his own...

BTW, very excited to hear about Paul Caponigro's new work being featured in your 100th issue. Mail mine first and I promise I'll agree with you more in the future. And congratulations!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."