Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's the experience, not the resolution

It's the experience, not the resolution

Sorry... I don't have time to join in your rant. I have to grab some charcoal from the fire pit and finish my tracing in the camera obscura. Bye.

I don't enjoy the experience of printing in a wet darkroom. I am curious to see how I feel about scanning my negs/trannies and printing them on an inkjet. I bought a scanner about 3 hours ago and until this time, the lab did all of my printing and I didn't care how they did it as long as it looked good and the prints lasted (didn't fade).

When I "compose, tilt, shift, focus, and click", my image is just beginning. It is done when I print it to my satisfaction, and lives on until I am tired of looking at it.
    For the "thrill of the hunt" I don't need a camera at all. I just need to be there and capture the images in my memory.

Guy
    Scenic Wild Photography

High tech-er at work, I'm a retro-geek at home. When I am not riding my track bike, playing my harpsichord, or painting in oils, I like to shoot film in LF, or even in pinhole. As an amateur with limited vision, there are zillions of other guys who can produce much better prints than I, with any tools, chem or digital. Not my problem. I chose low-tech activities for my hobbies, doing my best with the delightful old tools of yesteryear. That's my idea of fun. As long as some of my prints are occasionally nice enough to put up on the wall, I'm satisified.

If you haven't already found it you would find lots of kindred spirits at apug.org.

What Bruce said...

Seriously, what IS the deal with the whole debate anyway? And why (oh why!) do some people feel like they have the right to tell someone else what tools to use? (Not saying anyone here has done that but we've all seen it.) Digital... Analog... a combination of both... who cares as long it gets the job done and you enjoy the process :-)

CXC wrote: High tech-er at work, I'm a retro-geek at home. When I am not riding my track bike...

I spent all day scanning documents at work, stopped and shot something on 8x10 on my way home, am currently doing work on an image in Photoshop, and after supper am going to go the bike shop to pick up a 45 tooth FSA track chainring for my Basso fixie.

Good to know I'm not the only fixer shooting sheet film around here.

Regarding the thread itself, I maintain that it doesn't matter. This soapbox is falling apart.../p>

I have some understanding for Jack's feelings. I get them too even though I continually ask myself, as has been raised here on this thred, WTF do I care what the 'scions of digital' say about my film proclivities? Well, thinking about it, there are two aspects to my pique. 1. I think I'm bugged by anyone who is wholly digital and eschews film just because that is a stupid position to take for anyone interested in fine art photography ... in fact I strongly suspect fine art is not what truly motivates these digital-only "fine art" shooters. 2. Digital bugs me because it is coming on way too fast and destroying wonderful camera companies like Sherman cut through Georgia. Soon we will all be paying much more for a very limited spectrum of film products than we will want or like to pay as well.

On the other hand I can see that digital is a great advancment in photography. As soon as a stand-alone 22 MP back for my Contax comes in under $6k or so (that's used, shutterbugs) I may be spending a bit less time on the 50 mi. loop between here and the lab. Digital is fantastic and fantasticly perturbing.

Scott hit the mark in my heart. I hate to see what digital has done to peoples expectations. I hate being left out and disrespected, but hey, it is a time-honored situation. Beautiful arts die out and are replaced by moneymakers. Remember engravers, the profession photography destroyed?

I miss engravings, I miss record albums, I miss the handshake replaced by email. All one can do is appreciate what is left and try to make use of the new as we are going to pay the price anyway. I will take the copy lens glut and derth of camera shops in the same breath, the same sweep of technology.

It is change. There is not sense in fighting it. I don't have to like all it comes with. Right now I actively dislike most of what comes with it, but then again, here I am using the technology to make contacts and learn about the stuff I do love. sigh*

Cheers,

I just shot two regional tournament basketball games and sent the images back to my newspaper over a high-speed wireless network I set up in two minutes. The images were shot with the use of stobes mounted in the ceiling of the arena. With the digital cameras, I can do that and send 10 images for editors to look over. I'll repeat that process for the next nine evenings.

In the morning, I'm taking the 4x5 out to a little waterfall I've found and shoot Tri-X, then experiment a bit with Polaroid Type 55 exposing for the negative. It's a quiet place. Peaceful. When I previsualize, I can smell the fixer as well as the good green earth.

It's all good to me.
    "I meant what I said, not what you heard"--Jflavell