Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kalart repair question

Kalart repair question

I was trying to adjust the rangefinder on my crown graphic, and it appears that the screw I need to loosen is busted off. (See attached picture -- it's the one that says "To Loosen" with the arrow.) Any thoughts on how I can add a slot back to this tiny threaded rod? I tried supergluing something to it, but that immediately broke off. I also tried using a pencil eraser but it's on there pretty tight. I was contemplating trying to slot it with a dremel tool of some sort, but it's small enough so I doubt I could get a thin enough disk. Is this a replaceable part? Anyone have an old junker of a rangefinder they might want to part with? I know some people basically pull them off and throw them away, but I wanted to use it for some handheld street type photography. Thanks...

Re: Kalart repair question

Know a Dentist?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Know a Dentist?
    Not one who would operate on my camera! But I'm not averse to buying some dental tools if there's something that might do the job....

Even with the warning about its counterintuitive direction people break this off and strip the slot.

One of mine was stripped like this. I grasped it with a small set of vice grips and adjusted it. It has been very stable since.

Just get another one, lot's of them around.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Just get another one, lot's of them around.
    got a junker? I looked on Ebay and I saw two, but neither are like mine and both are expensive. That's why I was trying to save this one. But I'll keep an eye out for a parts unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Not one who would operate on my camera! But I'm not averse to buying some dental tools if there's something that might do the job....
    Then see a machinist.

That freaking screw-head is mangled on every Kalmart except NOS. Often it is caused by not relaxing the other adjustments. In evil mode I think Kalart built that part it to be broken.

Okay, enough of the doom and gloom. I have a spare and if it just happens to be pristine, it is yours. Gads, I've made enough from those POSes to do a pay-ahead. Tomorrow when I'm at the bench I will check. Don't keep your hopes high. Yet.

Oh BTW, the best screw drivers for many of these parts are precision 'gun' screwdrivers. They have the optimal width and depth. Here is a photo of my old set. I am not a gun person, but I appreciate good tools.

You might have to use a locking needle-nose plier to remove it.

If it protrudes from the surface you can file the top as a hex or square bolt and then use pliers to turn it. My Speed Graphic's Kalart seems to be different...

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    That freaking screw-head is mangled on every Kalmart except NOS. Often it is caused by not relaxing the other adjustments. In evil mode I think Kalart built that part it to be broken.

Okay, enough of the doom and gloom. I have a spare and if it just happens to be pristine, it is yours. Gads, I've made enough from those POSes to do a pay-ahead. Tomorrow when I'm at the bench I will check. Don't keep your hopes high. Yet.

Oh BTW, the best screw drivers for many of these parts are precision 'gun' screwdrivers. They have the optimal width and depth. Here is a photo of my old set. I am not a gun person, but I appreciate good tools.

You might have to use a locking needle-nose plier to remove it.

That would be fantastic. I'll keep my hopes in neutral airspace for the time being. Thanks! I can't get a plier on it - it's literally flush with the surface and there's very little to grab, and if I grab it, I can't turn it because it's in a slot. Frustrating. I'm going to agree with your theory of evil. There seems to be so many more logical ways to design that adjustment....