Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: David Muench moves from LF to MFT (?)

Remember to take out the trash

David Muench moves from LF to MFT (?)

According to a gentleman on another forum, latest Outdoor Photographer has an article about David Muench moving from 4x5 to Canon G10 and Panasonic Lumix FZ50. "He only shoots as ISO 100 and still uses a tripod, but he is now using these small body camera."

I don't have the magazine so I can't verify any of the info, but thought this was interesting.

edit: not MFT, but even smaller formats. Here original source article - thanks Oren!

Re: David Muench moves from LF to MFT (?)

Oh boy. Can of worms opened.

So the pretty calendars are now shot on a point and shoot? Maybe he is planning on branching out into puppies and kittens and needs more mobility?

--Darin

Here it is, for anyone in a wormy mood:

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/c...tormlight.html

Remember to take out the trash

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Here it is, for anyone in a wormy mood:

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/c...tormlight.html
    Thanks - your google-fu is stronger than mine.

Drew Wiley

Big deal. He's no youngster and might need a lighter camerea, and besides, he's made
    his money. Who isn't sick of sticky sweet nature calendars anyway?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Everything Mr. Muench said applies to any non-sheet film camera. Say, like a Rollie or Hasselblad or Pentax or Mamiya or ....

Maybe he wasn't big on movements in the first place. How many of us would like a back that gave us the convenience of a roll film camera? And held 10 sheets of film? Sure, it could be done. Sure, it could be compact. Sure, nobody is going to make it because it would retail for $1500. Oh, wait, that's the price of a brand new lens, and nobody is buying those.

I'm sure that his real product target has not suffered for using a smaller and cheaper camera: "10.1-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality 18 x 24-inch prints" (from Amazon description for Panasonic Lumix) He sells 16x20 color prints for $540.

Personally I like seeing amazingly beautiful scenery. Beats looking out my window at the large brick building across the street, or the four white walls of my office.

Almost sounds like the kind of guy who was using a view camera just because he thought he was supposed to. And now, he realizes, he doesn't.

No big deal. Some of us are gearheads. Some not. All of us (I hope) are about the image. And we each have different audiences, including ourselves.

Preston Birdwell

Like any of us largeformataholics, I suppose, he has chosen to use the tools that work for him. It's no big deal, as far I am concerned.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by tbeaman View Post
    Almost sounds like the kind of guy who was using a view camera just because he thought he was supposed to. And now, he realizes, he doesn't.
    You probably don't know much about David or you would not have made that statement. David was the most prolific LF photographer I have ever personally known. Born in 1936 into a family with a successful landscape photography business (son of Josef Muench), he went on to RIT, where his classmates were such as Harry Callahan. He told me once that he photographed on average 250 days a year from his 20s into his 70's adding on average "5,000" keepers a year to the family stock photography library, most of which was shot on a 4x5 Linhof. You can do the math. This is a guy whose 4x5 was a body part, and who has paid his dues in this business as few have. He didn't use a 4x5 just because "he thought he was supposed to". He also carried Hasslebalds and 35s on his excursions.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"