God, redheads, dpi, microns and lp/mm

Sitting in church today when I should have been paying attention to the sermon, I was marveling at the fact that God have given me eyes that could resolve individule flyaway hairs on the Redhead two pews in front of me. Counting floor tiles, I determined that she was 6 feet away from me, and remembering from a filtration project that I worked on, I knew that her hair should be about 36 microns in diameter.

I reasoned that if I could resolve a 36 micron detail at 6 feet I should be able to resolve a 9 micron detail at 18”

Now I keep hearing that 300 dpi is plenty of detail for a print. Unless I am doing my math wrong each of those dots should be about 80 microns in diameter. (About 12 dots per millimeter and 1000 microns per millimeter, so 1000 divided by 12 equals 80 each.)

So if my poor old tied eyes can resolve 9 micron detail how can 300 dpi (6 lp/mm) be enough?

P.S. In our camera club meeting the other night a speaker brought in some excellent 11x14 contact prints. While standing in front of those prints, I was told that you could get results just as good from a D-70. Maybe so, but I think I will keep my "Dorff" all the same.