Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detailed drawings and specifications

Detailed drawings and specifications

Hello, I am new to this forum, so this question may have already been asked.. I am trying to build an 8X10 wood field camera, and would like to get a set of accurate drawings and specifications. I have the ability and equipment to build this, but I have lots of questions. First is the front standard where the lens board fits in, how is it light tight? Next how is the ground glass in the same place the film will be when it is inserted.
    Thanks for any replys..

I live in Alabama, if anyone is close enough and has an 8X10 I could possibly just measure it...

Thanks
    Jim

Re: Detailed drawings and specifications

The GG has to be mounted at the "T" distance. It's measured from the face of the GG holder to the ground(facing the lens) surface of the glass.
    Someone'll let you know in a bit.

Light traps are simple rabbets on the board matching the one in the front standard.
    There used to be several DIY plans online. Freebies.

Just noticed this.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-Camera-Design

There aren't many blueprints available from my experience. I did lots of research before I built mine and posted some images on my site which might help in the process if you're building my type of camera. http://www.vinnywalsh.com
    I don't have any dimensions or drawings to offer but it's much easier if you have the holder to build the camera around.

Thanks everyone, I have looked at the sites. I considered ordering jon grepstad's book, but it looks dedicated to 4X5 so I haven't yet.

From what I have read here on LFP, doing the woodwork is only half of the DIY challenge. The metalwork can be the stumbling block. Am I worng in this?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

The functional design details of 4x5 cameras are essentially the same for 8x10 or any other size but the actual dimensions will most likely be different. If you are not comfortable with making design decisions it may be easier to purchase a 'basket case' camera and rebuild what's needed. By doing that you can see the details you need to replicate even if they are badly deteriorated. Another bonus is that the metal components are usually in much better shape than the wood parts. Cameras in this condition pop up quite frequently.

I have not seen any detailed construction drawings available for sale or on the web.

John

Here is Rayment Kirby's recent book on the subject. I have not read it. http://www.amazon.com/Camera-buildin.../dp/1320969585

Is this a current book? I used to direct people to Rayment Kirby's website but it disappeared. It's good to see that the information has not been lost and now is available as a book.

Steve.

From what I have read here on LFP, doing the woodwork is only half of the DIY challenge. The metalwork can be the stumbling block. Am I worng in this?

Thanks Drew and John, Tim I ordered the book.

I have a full machine shop, and all the woodworking equipment I need for the project. I don't have any problems with design modifications, and am sure once I am underway I will make some. I usually really have a good plan when I start, and having a set of detailed drawings helps me get everything visualized in my head.
    I haven't been able to find a "basket case" yet, but if I run across one reasonable I will sure try to get it.

I usually make a set of drawings before starting, if I do this this time, and it works out I will post them.
    But any additional advise or ideas will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jim