Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Graphic View Ground Glass Dimensions

Graphic View Ground Glass Dimensions

Hello everyone,

Can anyone confirm the dimensions of the ground glass used on a Graphic View camera with a spring (non-Graflok) back? I read 3 7/8" by 4 7/8", but confirmation would be great. I just acquired a Graphic View sans GG, and need to get a replacement ordered or made before my large format photography class starts next month. Alternatively, I have an Anniversary Speed Graphic with a nice fresneled GG. Any chance I can simply move that camera's GG over to the Graphic View?

I've attached a picture of the rear of the camera in question.

Thanks,

Dan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	185377a.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	143846

Re: Graphic View Ground Glass Dimensions

Steve Hopf thinks that the dimensions may be 100x122mm (3 15/16 x 4 13/16"), but, again, I'd really appreciate confirmation from anyone with the camera in hand.

Thanks,

Dan

The Anniversary GG with Fresnel might not be a direct replacement for the Graphic view due to the focus shift of the Fresnel.

Noted, thanks Jim. I'm going to have Steve Hopf grind a replacement when I get the dimensions nailed down. And thanks again for the advice over on APUG.

I just checked mine which looks like new, is 100% OE with a lens side Fresnel that mounts the GG on 2 long ledges top and bottom, no contact on ends or short side. But there are stops for max length at 4.98"

Max possible GG is 4.0 X 4.95. Min is 3.9 X 4.8" or less.

Hopf is seldom wrong.

I measure roughly as my vernier is poor for depth, 0.15" to lens side of Fresnel. Actual T should be about 0.2" per http://home.earthlink.net/~eahoo/page8/filmhold.html

So you need a Fresnel or shims.

I would certainly try your Speed parts, in fact the whole GG frame may drop in.
    Tin Can

Thank you so much Randy! As soon as the camera arrives, I'll see what I can do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dpn View Post
    Thank you so much Randy! As soon as the camera arrives, I'll see what I can do with it.
    Oops I made a mistake. Mine is version 2 and your is 1. Consider this link. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/graphic-view/
    Tin Can

Yeah, mine is the first (Graphic back) version. There's a detail shot on that link of the ground glass assembly, and it looks really similar to the ground glass assembly (four vertical flathead screws, etc.) on my Anniversary Speed Graphic. When the camera arrives, I'll see if the Anniversary Speed Graphic's assembly drops right on.

If there's no (cheap) fix, I may return the camera and look for a different sub-$200 view camera for the large format photography class I'm taking this spring.

Building on the above correct information, A standard Graphic GG will fit, but the fresnel spacing must be included... The fresnel thickness is .060"/about 1/16"... The fresnel is mounted under the GG, like on Pacemaker Graphic models, but that space is needed if just the GG is used in order to focus correctly... If your fresnel is not the thickness as above, you can go to a hobby shop and buy some metal or wood strips that thickness, and make shims that go between the GG seating area (in the GG frame), and the matt side of the GG...

With your Anniversary Graphic model, you might want to check because the GG matt side usually sat directly on the GG frame, so if there is a fresnel between it and the GG, there might be a focus error (unless camera was modified for it)...

But after all is said and done, set up 3 matchsticks front to back, an inch apart, set in some clay to hold them up (staggered a little), put your faster lens on the camera (wide open), and focus (from about 2 or 3 feet away) on the center stick, then shoot a test neg... If there is a error, the front or back stick will be in focus... Good test to do on all cameras once in awhile...

Steve K

I took another look at your camera photo... Check for this...

Take a metal ruler, and measure the distance between the GG seating area, and about where the GG clip presses... If it is a non-fresnel model, it should be a little shy of 1/16", if a fresnel model model, it should be a little shy of 1/8"...

Most of the post-war cameras had the fresnel, but I not sure if this one is post or pre war...

Don't give up on this camera... It's just the GG you need to mount, and then it's a great camera... (Though, I prefer the GVII, which I think has one of the best engineered movement systems of ANY camera made...)

Steve K