Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tripod Recomendation

Re: Tripod Recomendation

Someday I will have to go lighter weight, and carbon fiber is most likely the way I will go.

Until then, I will stick to my Ries (A series, pod and head) for the 8x10 and 11x14. No carbon fiber tripod would have survived what I have put the Ries through. I am most often off-trail and my Ries is often used as a climbing assist tool...probably much to the shock of the manufacturer that their product is used in such a manner! And of course I have taken falls amongst the rocks and such and the pod (and I) have survived.

Here is a snap of me and my Ries -- my boys and had I just hiked up from the valley floor (Yosemite) up to an unnamed waterfall that I wanted to check out again. The other photo is me with my small tripod for my Rollei and for my Gowland PocketView 4x5. It is an old Gitzo Reporter Performance. Over-kill for the Rollei and even for the 4x5 (which weights 2.5 pounds with the lens), but since I am 6'4" I appreciate the height. And it came in handy when I was crossing Redwood Creek many times backpacking with the 4x5 over last Thanksgiving.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails There.jpg   Vaughn_FernCanyon.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

Vaughn - I did buy one of the biggest Feisol CF tripods for old age use with my 8x10. It came in handy last year keeping the pack from bouncing when I was recovering from shingles all over my lower back. And I use an early "Reporter" Gitzo CF for long-haul backpacking with 4x5. Otherwise, a couple sizes of Ries are my routine choice of preference. Then I recently acquired a superb EDIF 300 telephoto lens for my P67. It actually requires better support than my 8x10. So I machined a maple block for it with two attachment point, so introduced some rust and so forth into the penetrating epoxy so that it would match the vintage
    appearance of the maple on my Ries. Now I just need to make a new ash handle for my original ice axe (which broke during a thrill ride down some ice years ago,
    pre-fiberglass axe days), and then I'll be fully in style, 70's Glendale Kelty Pack n' all.

+++Ries

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    ...and then I'll be fully in style, 70's Glendale Kelty Pack n' all.
    My family still has a few Kelty packs from 1970 (give or take a couple years) hanging on the walls of our garages. I let one of my boys use one a few years ago. He said his shoulders hurt. Then I noticed that on the original shoulder straps, the foam padding had aged and were as hard as wood! I replaced the straps but he has now gone to internal frame (he is in Bolivia right now and internal frame is the way to go traveling).

What is the best way to sharpen the spikes on a Ries? Mine have dulled to acute roundness! I could use a file, I suppose...sitting around a campfire sharpening spikes just sounds so manly.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I use a large diameter aluminum leg Gitzo and Majestic head for 8x20/8x10. Sad to say, the heavier the better.

I've used FLM CP30-series tripods for all formats in all weather conditions.
    It's light and strong, and will hold things very securely and with great stability.
    Here's a recent review on the XL version: http://dsaphoto.com/flm-cp-xl4s-tripod-review.-

Drew Wiley

Just use a bench grinder or even file to sharpen your spikes, Vaughn. I once had to improvise a spike with a 60-penny nail until a replacement leg arrived. Ries
    gave me the replacement free, even though I attempted to purchase it, having told them that I dropped the thing off a cliff! An exceptional warranty. But a couple years ago a pal of mine slipped in the creek at dusk way the hell back in Kaweah Basin, probably the most remote spot in the Sierra, carrying his gear rifle-style. He busted off two of his Gitzo CF legs, among other things. So I found a skinny foxtail pine snag and whittled him a couple of prosthetic tripod legs, and he supplied the duct tape. It worked, though I'm still kidding him about it, replete with a mock B&H Photo ad with such a tripod pictured on it.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Using a tripod, especially a 10 or more pound tripod, as a walking pole is not practical, IMHO. Regular hiking poles such as those sold at outdoor suppliers such as REI are far superior for support and balance and are far lighter. For years I hiked/backpacked with just one pole - the REI hiker. Then a few years back when I wore out a Hiker I brought it in for repair at a local REI store and behold, they refunded me the full purchase price with which I immediately bought a pair of poles. Two poles, which together weigh practically nothing, are better for balance and support and come in handy when making tricky log crossings over streams. From my army days I learned to distribute the weight on the body. Civilian backpacks lack the webbing employed by the military which allows one to carry much more weight and evenly displaced around the body. Being 10 pounds heavier on one hand/side throws your balance off.

Going overboard on tripod weight is both counterproductive and delivers no added benefit that a lesser weighing but stable support system can deliver. I try to go as light as I can but without sacrificing quality.

Thomas

I'm just really impressed with all these people! And with this forum, (for whom it stands)!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Les

Choosing a tripod for big-er camera has to do with personal capabilities, individual's health or how far one wishes to go away from the vehicle or gen transportation. If you wish to get something **all around** (w/flexibility intended) then CF is the way to go. Most often one has to deal with all sorts of additional weight such as camera, lenses (many times more than one camera), filters and other related items. Food and drink is optional, tho often a necessity too. Sure, if the terrain permits....you can pull all this stuff on a rig with wheels (sled ?). Some people travel a lot and prefer the tripod to be
    ultra compact.

Anyway, I don't have anything up my sleeve that's been tested (not 8x10)....but stout is good. My attitude is to avoid anything with mid-column....it has a tendency to loosen up (no matter how expensive) and so called *support* becomes no longer.

Here is another quality wooden tripod that you might want to look at....not sure how it compares to Ries or others, but....
    http://www.wooden-tripods.com/8012.html

It's just a suggestion....as I'm not connected to the firm in any way. Good luck choosing.

Les