Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why not thread for LF thefts with serial numbers?

Lurker

Re: Why not thread for LF thefts with serial numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Thanks to all for your thoughts; additional comments are welcome.

To properly weigh this idea we would also appreciate any thoughts about potential drawbacks of doing this, and any ways to avoid or minimize such drawbacks.
    I think the idea has good intent.

Most SN are visible on lens in the FS section, anyone can list it in the stolen section and then fireworks. A do not have bill of sales for most of my gear other than emails, which I doubt are legit. A suggestion is a verfication of stolen item like a police report (which can be also faked). Now every FS would require some blur of the SN's to avoid some prankster. Just thinking outside the box.

David

If an item appears on the "hot list" then it is likely that it will not be offered for sale on this forum.

This is a disadvantage only for the seller, who is deprived of a market. This would likely be of no advantage to the person who lost it, unless it is offered for sale by an unknowing seller and then "discovered" either by the original owner or someone else. It might even hinder the recovery of a stolen item.

The worst case scenario (that I can imagine) is that someone posts a false claim against something they have seen for sale. This claim would probably not hold up, and seems unlikely among our members.

I can see a benefit to a potential buyer, namely, avoiding buying stolen merchandise. The benefit to the person reporting the theft might be much less. The person trying to sell the (alleged) stolen merchandise would be, of course, the loser.

Unfortunately, the core issue is verification of ownership, something the forum cannot become involved in. Worse, if someone claims a reported theft is false, we might be put in a position of having to remove the post reporting the theft due to liability for libel. Thus, I don't think the idea is viable, even though well intended.

The original owner might be better served by reporting the attempted sale to the police department at which they filed the original theft report, and/or their insurance company. Those entities can then advise the original owner of an appropriate course of action.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    "."................... Unfortunately, the core issue is verification of ownership..............
    Which is why writing serial numbers down in a little black book is not enough. Photo documentation is essential.