Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why not thread for LF thefts with serial numbers?

Why not thread for LF thefts with serial numbers?

Since many new LF users end up here for advice, news and research we could have a dedicated thread for LF thefts and serial #'s. A kind of clearing house?

This is NOT that thread. The suggested thread needs vetting by Mods and others for title, tone, style.

Discussion?
    Tin Can

Re: Why not thread for LF thefts with serial numbers?

Excellent idea.

We must also remember there is, unfortunately, a thing called "postal loss" which would also add to reports.

+1 for the idea. And easier to maintain than a list of "good" serial numbers.

I had gear stolen in 1995. If I posted the serial number of that sweet sharp Computar 210/6.3 and someone here eventually ended up with it, what would/should/could happen? It was covered by insurance, and I certainly would not expect it back. The Rolleiflex would be nice to get back, but the Rajah with the Deardorff 5x7 back had no numbers, but the Pentax Digital Spot did.

At this point, I would just be amused to hear where any of it might have turned up, but I think that technically, the insurance company owns all that stuff now. I imagine things could get sticky here with some people. Might make some ebay auctions interesting...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

You end up with stolen merchandise, you lose it. A thief is always a converter and title to stolen goods does not pass when they are sold.

Old School Wayne

I looked into this when I found my kayak online that had been stolen 13 years earlier. In fact the ad is still online even several years after this occurred. My insurance company said I still owned the kayak, but since they had compensated me for it I might have to pay something if I recovered it, but they wouldn't say how much unless I actually got it back. Anyway I never tested it because being more than 7 years the cops wouldn't do anything about it, and the seller had recently sold it to someone else so I couldn't go over there and grab it myself. Which I would have done.

So technically I believe your stuff is still yours.

I wonder if the current unsuspecting owner's insurance would cover it, if they wanted to give it back to you and there was no evidence of wrongdoing on their part. Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I had gear stolen in 1995. If I posted the serial number of that sweet sharp Computar 210/6.3 and someone here eventually ended up with it, what would/should/could happen? It was covered by insurance, and I certainly would not expect it back. The Rolleiflex would be nice to get back, but the Rajah with the Deardorff 5x7 back had no numbers, but the Pentax Digital Spot did.

At this point, I would just be amused to hear where any of it might have turned up, but I think that technically, the insurance company owns all that stuff now. I imagine things could get sticky here with some people. Might make some ebay auctions interesting...

This is a good idea.
    If it didn't stop the first thief, maybe the resellers who bought stolen stock at low cost to resell with high profit will think 2 times before buying large format stolen stock.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

Thanks to all for your thoughts; additional comments are welcome.

To properly weigh this idea we would also appreciate any thoughts about potential drawbacks of doing this, and any ways to avoid or minimize such drawbacks.

Interesting idea. I wonder how many potential buyers of LF gear visit this forum and would benefit from such a list and how many don't and wouldn't. Based on selling experience here and on eBay I suspect -- can't prove -- that very few people would benefit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Interesting idea. I wonder how many potential buyers of LF gear visit this forum and would benefit from such a list and how many don't and wouldn't. Based on selling experience here and on eBay I suspect -- can't prove -- that very few people would benefit from it.
    Thieves will not benefit...

I would surely check a list of hot gear before buying. That would help me, selfish man that I am.
    Tin Can