View Poll Results: How many sheets of 4x5 film do you typically processes at a time?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 or 2

11 9.57%
  • 3 or 4

35 30.43%
  • 5 or 6

40 34.78%
  • 7 or 8

3 2.61%
  • more than 8

26 22.61%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New 4x5 film processing system on Kickstarter: $47!

New 4x5 film processing system on Kickstarter: $47!

We've just launched a kickstarter for a new sheet film processing system. It will processes four sheets of 4x5 in 16 oz of solution. Details at:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...cessing-system

We're currently working on the next prototype, so send us your comments and suggestions.
    The biggest question: is a four sheet capacity enough?

Re: New 4x5 film processing system on Kickstarter: $47!

Im backer #1!
    4 is not enough.

With that said:

1. There are other daylight 4X5 processing tanks in the world other then the Yankee tank (as is evident by the MANY "what is the best 4X5 tank" threads on this forum), so i am not sure what exactly you are out to solve - the fact the yankee tank is not very good? That has already been solved many times in the past 50 years.

2. Max 4 sheets does not seem like the most efficient system especially with econo type processors such as the MOD54 and Jobo 2509n reels, which can hold up to 6 sheets each. The amount of chemicals required for the Jobo in rotation processing is 270ml, and 990ml for the MOD54 for inversion. This might be an advatange of this system, requiring a seemingly lower per sheet amount of liquid.

3. Will there be a "quick rinse" attachment of sorts? It would be somewhat time consuming to replace the water in a tank without a central shaft.

4. To make this commercially viable at 47$ retail price, the manufacturing would have to be of a massive proportion. I doubt there are enough 4X5 shooters in the world (should each one buy at least one of these) to make that viable - i would like to see the economical breakdown of how you intend to make this happen, though not literally, just a point for thought, and - its not really any of my business. That would work out to almost 600 units on KS to get funded.

5. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...16oz%20in%20ml
    16oz is not 475ml - choose one and stick to it.

6. Good luck!

I have been developing large format film more than 75 years and have tried many of the products designed to ease film development. I watched your video and have the following comments and questions.

1. The projected price is extremely high.
    2. 16 oz of developer is inadequate if using more than a 1+3 dilution of developer, and more than 1+2 with many common developers.
    3. How do the solutions get to the reverse of the film to remove the anti-halation layer?
    4. Related to #4, how does the washing solution get to the reverse of the film?

Welcome to the forum.
    It would seem that the corner of the film closest to the plunger would be more turbulent than the other corners. Not the case?
    4 sheets is enough.

I'd prefer a gasket lid so I can rock/invert agitate the film vs plunger/turbulence. Much simpler. Also instead of film sheaths, maybe dado some channels in the walls to slide the film into. Price is not bad if product is well made and works 100%. I cld live with 4 sheets as I'd primarily use it for hotel room/guerilla processing.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

It is unfortunate that we cannot contribute using pay pal. That shortcoming stopped me dead.

I don't even need this but I'm backing it anyways. You've set a high target, good luck!

I'm thinking this could be a good tank for field processing New 55 negatives in fixer.

Quote Originally Posted by tim48v View Post
    ...is a four sheet capacity enough?
    Not for me. I use a Jobo 3010 tank and process 10 sheets of 5x4 at a time, using 500ml of XTOL 1:1.

And a suggestion -- use SI units if you intend to sell outside of the US, and that includes Canada. The majority of LFers in the US use SI units too. I know I've long since lost any feel for what 16oz is; I've been doing nearly all my work in SI for the last three decades or so. I've got a 2m tape measure in my pocket as I write this that's free of any "imperial entanglements" (sorry, couldn't resist).

Bruce Watson

I just backed it. This will be perfect for travel. It would be nice if it could do six sheets in the same space (i.e. about 500ml), but I can live with four (I already do with my Orbital).

This will not be all things to all people, but as another option, and given the demise of the Combi-plan, I think its a good initiative. A few years ago I tried to get Paterson to do another run of Orbitals (which I use for both shet film and paper processing) and they told me they had thrown away the molds and tooling.

I must be #6! For the Travelwide I'm something like 998 and still have not heard from them.

Four sheets is fine. Just as long as you make it four sheets of 5x7.

There are plenty of options for 4x5 developing. You'd really have something if you took this design down the 5x7 path instead and it gave very even results. More than 16 ounces would be required, but not that much more.