View Poll Results: How many sheets of 4x5 film do you typically processes at a time?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 or 2

11 9.57%
  • 3 or 4

35 30.43%
  • 5 or 6

40 34.78%
  • 7 or 8

3 2.61%
  • more than 8

26 22.61%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New 4x5 film processing system on Kickstarter: $47!

Re: New 4x5 film processing system on Kickstarter: $47!

He's read the posts on apug but hasn't chimed in there either. This is the type of thread which would have been very beneficial before the kickstarter stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    Yea it worries me that no sample of sheets developed using the system are shown.
    Thats because they have not done any testing yet, as noted in the video...

Looks like this has really taken off and congrats to the maker/s, though because of the above comment, and lack of actual testing, i am wondering what will happen if the collect all the money, then figure out this design just does not work for film processing?

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    .......... i am wondering what will happen if the collect all the money, then figure out this design just does not work for film processing?

They try using it on digital. Duh!

I am not a fan of the agitator stick either. There are several lines of clear plastic storage containers with silicone gaskets and clips on the side to hold the top down. Mine seem to seal pretty well. I would rather tip the tank than push the stick.

Yes it also has to deal with the back side of the film so.....

The idea of the removable film holder is interesting you could load it in a changing bag if needed. Or you could make a cassette that would clip out of the standard film holder and go right into the tank. One less film handling operation reducing the potential for smudges and scratches.

I like the general shape and form and that it minimizes the chemicals but then how little do you need for proper developing? What are the ratios of the chemical reactions won't that tell what the minimum is?

I kind of like the filler holes on the typical patterson and jobo tanks to which you could add a screw top.

I haven't committed $$ just yet but think it looks promising.

**PRO**
    **PRO**

I think based on the look, the film holders look just like grafmatic septums.

Lachlan 717

When is someone going to get a CAT scan of a Jobo Expert drum and convert it to a 3D file for a 3D printed Jobo knock-off on Kickstarter?

Just musing...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    When is someone going to get a CAT scan of a Jobo Expert drum and convert it to a 3D file for a 3D printed Jobo knock-off on Kickstarter?

Just musing...
    I don't get why we don't have a 3 sheet tube insert for 2500 series tanks, to me that makes more sense than the CatLabs version. Same amount of sheets just more in-line with the safer agitation and loading of tubes.

Everyone,
    Thanks for the comments! Please keep them coming.

Let me address what I can:

First, I don't know why kickstarter won't let you use Paypal. But bear in mind that we, (the project developers), never see your credit card info. Once the project is funded, Kickstarter processes all the cards and wires us the money (after taking their cut and giving the credit card company theirs.) I would expect that they are as secure as Paypal.

Regarding the 'gasket vs plunger' debate; we tried two prototypes with two different gasket configurations and decided we needed a better idea. The gasket complicates the molds for the tank/lid and brings another supplier into the mix. That raises the cost.

As for 'edge to edge' uniformity, we haven't seen any problems. Note, I'm probably not as picky as many of you and our testing has been limited to E-6 and D-76. We're putting a plan together to shoot a series of controlled shots using several different films and developers and then scan them looking for issues. Probably be after Christmas before we have much more data.

As for the agitation debate, I'm preparing a video to address the topic. I hope to have it published (on the kickstarter site) this weekend.

As for the anti-halation backing getting removed: the only issue I've seen is the chemistry not getting to the film under the slots that hold the film. (Mainly on just one of the prototype film holders; the others are fine.) This is one reason we're making the slots wider. The rest of the film seems fine. I would think that the JOBO rotary system would have the same issue (or lack thereof) as it appears to me that the film is in firm contact with the tube.

To wash, I've just removed the lid and let it flood. One could insert a tube/hose down the fill/drain chamber as well. We are looking at adding a nipple to the lid; no promises at this time.

We have a 5x7/8x10 combo version sketched out (4 sheets of 5x7 or 2 sheets of 8x10). However, first, we need to get this project launched and in production. Then we'll need to do more market research to make sure there's a demand. (Launching a kickstarter takes a lot of effort.)

Please continue to spread the word to your fellow photographers.

Thanks again,

Timothy

Thanks Timothy,

FYI the jobo expert drum, because of the actual bending of the sheet, as rotation happens, the edge gets lifted up and water gets behind the sheet and travels along the back, it looks as if it's stuck solid to the wall edge, but the film itself actually catches the water and a "wave" flows behind each sheet as it rotates (as well as of course on top of it on the emulsion side).

Good luck with your project!

I am glad to hear that you are using it for E-6. Regarding the rear of the sheet of film, I believe that has to be hit in any color process so apparently your holders are working in that regard.

That said, I'm still just not needing this tank myself, but you mentioned the 2 sheets of 8x10 - that I would be seriously interested in, at a reasonable price.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome