Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Looking for Bellows Maker

Drew Wiley

Re: Looking for Bellows Maker

I'm sending them an old bellows myself this week to replace. His price quote itself seemed perfectly reasonable.

Hello: Has anyone had any experience with globalmatter-lab.net? I am looking for a good bellows for my old Deardorff.

T

I have a new bellows on the way from Custom Bellows. Keith is great to work with and quick turn around.
    Unlike Deardorff TN that I have lost my original bellows to along with $325 a year and a half of waiting with no response.

Since bag bellows are so simple, is it possible to make your own? I've a short focal length lens I'd like to take for a spin, and it's beyond my means without a bag bellows. Although normal bellows are certainly something to be crafted, bag bellows must be something that can be done sans finesse.

Sure. All you need are the appropriate frames. Many years ago, I couldn't afford a Sinar bag bellows. And so I made one with Porter's black out cloth. It wasn't pretty, but it worked just fine.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Dave Karp

A changing bag might be a good start of a bag bellows.

Drew Wiley

Just got my 8x10 Durst enlarger bellows from Custom Bellows UK. Yippee! Nice quality work, prompt, and reasonable. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Sure. All you need are the appropriate frames. Many years ago, I couldn't afford a Sinar bag bellows. And so I made one with Porter's black out cloth. It wasn't pretty, but it worked just fine.
    Was there a guide or instruction set you followed? I've done very little stitching in my life, not sure if I could wing it.

I used fabric glue for the fabric. I worried about stitches letting light in, but I don't know much about sewing, nor do I have a machine. I bought frames from Sinar. Back then they were reasonable. I made a guess as to the size of the bellows, based on the frame size and picture of Sinar bag bellows I saw online. I cut out 4 pieces of paper and used tape to make a prototype. I then used the paper as a template to cut out the fabric. It was ugly but it worked fine.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know