Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ULF build with extruded T-channel?

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: ULF build with extruded T-channel?

Don't say you do not have the equipment or skill. I built my 8 x 20 based on a Korona design. I found an old Kodak 2-D for all of the metal parts. I cut the wood with my dovetail saw. I had no shop. Only hand tools. For wood you can find sources for thin stock and laminate the wood together. You can do tongue and groove this way etc. I've found thin wood from 1/16" to 1/4" and thicker online. It may cost more but it gets you there. Now I have a Bandsaw and I can cut my own veneer etc. Just find the style and copy it. I found it is best if you can see an example of what you want to build. Once I get farther along I'll post some pictures..... maybe. Just got off of the phone with the builder who said own new home will be ready for us on the 22nd! Now we really have to pack. The shop alone will take a week at least!

Jim, thanks for the encouraging words! Good to know it's possible.

I downloaded SketchUp and started trying to play with the different profiles you can download from the 80/20 site. They have SketchUp-compatible files so it should be possible to get a good idea of what would be required. I've been going over the 80/20 catalog, looking at the various components available. The only issue I see so far is that anything made out of this stuff will not be lightweight. Some of the components are actually quite heavy. You have to be careful about what profile you get and minimize components.

More than anything, I think creating a solid base with extending rails out of 80/20 would be the best use. Wood can be used in other parts and even machined aluminum, though I can't figure out how that's going to work. I know there are services online that can do custom machining so that might be an option.

When considering a new 8x10 camera after selling my previous model, I wasn't sold on anything I had seen. I could spend $3k+ on a camera or much less on a milling machine and parts. I ended up going with a cheap chinese mill (Grizzly G0704) that I "needed" anyway and a couple hundred bucks for a vise and tooling. I already had all the woodworking stuff necessary. I now have a camera and a milling machine that I use several times per month for other projects including shaping wood. I had never touched a milling machine before buying one. Steep learning curve but you can do it if you're not an idiot. I wouldn't go with a mill any smaller than what I have.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Vinny, I agree on the Mini Mill. After you told me about yours I bought one too. A great addition to the shop. To be able to shape and slot metal, rout wood etc it is a great tool. The learning curve is not to bad but it sure make things easier. When looking at the 80/20 look at the 1050 profile. We used this as our frame material. My guesstimate for the finished weight of this 14 x 17 is 26 lbs. Not bad really.

I have built a 4x5 camera with MAKERBEAM

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Ihave built a 4x5 camera with MAKERBEAM

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk