Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Which is the softest cable release?

Re: Which is the softest cable release?

While I've found cloth-sheathed releases to be, generally, a bit smoother and more supple than either plastic/metal or metal-only sheathed releases, I've also found that many brands of cloth-sheathed releases simply don't last - and that in fact they tend to suddenly fail (in the field) with no warning. But I've been very stubborn about insisting on cloth-covered releases, and so over the years have spent a small fortune...more or less continually replacing them.

So when I recently set about to research this a bit further...I discovered that many folks, who'd had similar issues with their releases, are very happy with Pentax cloth-sheathed releases, citing not only their quality and smoothness, but also their longevity. So... I went ahead and replaced all of my old releases with new, Pentax ones (20" long, from B+H) - and am (thus far) a happy camper!

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Then there is getting an old solenoid from a Speed Graphic lensboard, and wiring it to a little battery pack, and making a little link to the shutter release to fire it electrically...
    Electrical release with a solenoid seems like the softest possible solution. And for ultimate convenience, use a Graflex Super Graphic camera which already comes with a built-in solenoid in the front standard and electrical shutter release button at the camera back.

Alternatively, a mechanical self-timer could be used to fire the camera (assuming that winding up the timer mechanism isn't too hard on the hands and the subject doesn't move...)

Drew Wiley

The quality of the release is important because the ordinary cheap ones eventually kink and develop friction near the shutter. I prefer Linhof or true Minolta ones. These were originally rather expensive. But unused ones do turn up frequently, if you can beat me to them.

I got a Nikon cloth covered release, but it's not particularly soft. Will check the other brands.

Kumar