Thread: Troublesome JOBO Reversing Mechanism s

Troublesome JOBO Reversing Mechanism s

2 JOBO CPP / CPA laying around the house and the common point of failure is the reversing switch.

Has anyone made their own? Re-route the motor leads through time delay relays and forget the mechanical / electro nightmare that JOBO used?

Just thought I'd ask first before I dive in. There's got to be something more reliable than the stupid mechanical fingers that are causing me heartburn. I hope.

Re: Troublesome JOBO Reversing Mechanism s

What is the problem, does not reverse as it should? Does you switch look like this? Maybe the contacts need to be cleaned and polished.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00bX34-530627984.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	143201

Yes. 2 for 2. Both JOBOs have had this problem. The CPP is almost new and already malfunctioning.

I know that everybody wants them to reverse, but I only run mine in one direction. I decided it would put less stress on everything else. When I used BTZS tubes I never reversed rotation so I thought, why not try it? I've only done B&W but I've never had any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by photonsoup View Post
    I know that everybody wants them to reverse, but I only run mine in one direction. I decided it would put less stress on everything else. When I used BTZS tubes I never reversed rotation so I thought, why not try it? I've only done B&W but I've never had any issues.
    One direction is fine for Expert drums (has been for me) but not recommended for other drums.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Jim, the cpe2+ replaced the mechanical switch for an electronic control of the motor. The circuit is very basic, a ac/dc converter, an oscillator and a power driver. Let me know if you are interested in the diagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    2 JOBO CPP / CPA laying around the house and the common point of failure is the reversing switch.

Has anyone made their own? Re-route the motor leads through time delay relays and forget the mechanical / electro nightmare that JOBO used?

Just thought I'd ask first before I dive in. There's got to be something more reliable than the stupid mechanical fingers that are causing me heartburn. I hope.
    I had similar problem on two units , I pulled the cover, and reattached the birds foot ,square hole on square shaft. Just a loosened screw but I had to pull the cover in both cases. Be careful as you can pull the motor speed control switch apart, and replacing that is a bit of a pain. 50 bucks from Catlabs and it's not a drop-in does work like a Swiss watch now though. CPE2 PLUS & CPP3 are totally electronic no mechanical switching.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Contact Dave Smith at joboman@aol.com or at http://www.darkroomdoctor.com/ has Jobo parts at good prices. I would bet that he would do a service call in Tonopah Nevada for the right price. Actually he and his wife have been very helpful and the prices were quite good.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Thanks for the interest and the answers. I had to go out of town for a few days so didn't get any further in the project. I see that the motor is just 2 wires, so obviously DC and the board and relay reverses polarity. That was as far as I got though.