Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Color Darkroom Set Up and Fujimoto CP-51

Bob

Re: Color Darkroom Set Up and Fujimoto CP-51

It looks like you have the front half (developer/bleach fix module) of the full processor, but not the wash/dry module section. Not a problem as long as you have a way to wash and dry the prints after they exit the processor. They will still be wet and will not look right when they exit as RA4 needs to be dry before judging color accuracy and exposure of the print.

Bob

Forgot to answer your question about the funnel. The link Ed provided to Omega shows the funnels as still available for purchase. It doesn't list the filters as a "spare" but I would call and ask if they still carry them. I looked at the minilab link and didn't see a filter listed for the CP51. I'll post exact measurements later so you may be able to match one of the right size from their list if Omega doesn't carry them.

The correct funnels are useful but any funnel that has the right diameter would probably work. They are mostly to force solutions down into the system, the taller ones helped via gravity/height, but even shorter ones *should* work.

Before you even fire it up, give it a major cleaning. rinse out all the tubing, I'd pull the whole bottom of the case and clean under there too. There's some buried tubing that is hard to clean otherwise. Dilute toilet bowl cleaner is good for cleaning tar/residue from the tanks and lines.

When I got my first Cp31 I gave it a near-complete disassembly and cleaning, took all the rollers and such out from the racks, cleaned each roller, all the gears, relubed them with silicone grease, etc. It took a while but I wanted to start as fresh as possible. I'd suggest similiar in this situation.

As mentioned there is a wash/dryer unit that usually went with these. If you can't find that, you can always get one on Ebay if need be, or wash and dry manually as mentioned.

Bob

I looked at the manual Ed posted and there were two illustrations missing that it seemed might be helpful to have. I will try emailing to your PM account s the pdfs exceed forum limits for attachments.

Bob

The filter measures 3" x 1 5/16" with 13/16" hole in the center so the minilabs part 11297 should be a near perfect fit.

Near the end of buying these from JOBO it seemed like the filters from them came about 1/8 to 1/4 inch too long at times. That made it impossible to fully seal the filter compartments, which instantly drains your chemistry so never allow a leak there. Cutting off the excess was easy with a standard hacksaw and probably could be done with coarse sandpaper.

It seems like you've got some good sources here--I used one of these for several years, it's a great processor. The one I used didn't have the drying unit, I would just drop the print into a tray with running water for a rinse, and then use an rc print dryer.

The big thing was to always pull the rollers out and clean them well after every use--never to store the rollers in the chemistry.

Ed, Bob, Andy,

I want to thank all of you again for all your suggestions and information. I've been reading through the manual pdf that I downloaded from one of the links that Ed provided. Everything seems pretty straight forward. The one thing I'm still not clear about though is the replenisher. I cannot visualize how the replenisher set up works. Also, I've been looking on the B&H website for color paper chemistry and I'm not sure which chemicals I should be buying. They have different options at different volumes and I'm confused about what to get. Below is a link to the B&H page with the different options. Could one of you look at the link and advise me as to which option is best? Just so you all know, when the Fujimoto is set up we're going to introduce it to the students gradually. There will not be a color photo class just yet. What we are going to do is to have students in the Advanced Photography class shoot color film for an assignment and then print on a color enlarger and process using the Fujimoto. There will be four students doing this per assignment. So there will never be more than four to eight people printing at once. I listed up to eight because there may be graduate students also using the printer, and I figure it's better to have more people printing rather than less to get the most from the chemicals. I read in the manual that each bath requires six liters of chemistry. But the replenisher throws me off since I don't understand how often the replenisher is feeding chemicals into the baths. How much chemistry do you suggest the school purchase at once?

Does the replenisher get added to the bath through hoses? Is it an automatic process? Or will I have to manually replenish the baths?

Thank you again for all of your advice. Each of you is making this process less intimidating. And the students are extremely excited for the spring semester to start so that they can print color. Right now they have only printed in the B&W darkroom and on inkjet printers.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...376+4291384683

The school where I used this processor had chemistry delivered from a fuji supplier, rather than dealing with b&h retail.

Bob

The replenisher is sucked up via the hoses coming out of the back of the machine. You will need a 5 liter container to drop the hose into. One of the pages in the manual shows you how to set the replenishment rate for RA4.

I used to buy the 10 liter chemistry as that filled the tanks and gave you 4 liters of replenisher. Initially bought from JOBO then switched to Kodak via whoever I could get to ship it when JOBO stopped shipping Tetenal chemistry. .

Unless things have changes B&H isn't an option as they wouldn't ship RA4 stuff the last time I tried. Looks that way from their website for the sizes you want.

Freestyle and Adorama used to be friendlier about shipping, though you may get a sizable Hazmat fee so watch for that.

Minilab suppliers may be your best bet today. I haven't ordered for a couple years so don't know the current options that well.

https://www.minilab.com/productDetai...roductID_E_178

Unique photo is the past place I bought chemistry, they had no problem shipping everything. Pakor.com is another option too. The relenishment is automated and Automatically calculated based on throughput. It's a beautiful system, fairly low maintenance when all things are considered. Glad we could help and resurrect that wonderful processor. I too use the 10 L Kodak ra/RT kits as well.