Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Color Darkroom Set Up and Fujimoto CP-51

Color Darkroom Set Up and Fujimoto CP-51

Hi All,

I'm setting up a color darkroom at the University of Nevada Las Vegas where I'm a first year graduate student. The school has a Fujimoto CP-51 and eight color enlargers. They used to have a color darkroom but got rid of it when digital took over the industry. But the equipment is still in great shape and the department is going to let me get the darkroom up and running again so that the students can learn analog color printing.

One problem is that I can't find the manual for the CP-51. Does anyone on this forum have one or know where I can find a pdf version online? I've been searching but have yet to find one. Also, if any of you have experience with the CP-51 I would appreciate any tips, information, suggestions, and warnings you have about setting up, running, and maintaining the processor. I want to try my best to make sure the machine runs well while I'm in charge of it so any advice is greatly appreciated. Same for setting up a color darkroom. Any tips are welcome. What color to paint the walls, ventilation, etc. And do you know where I can find spare parts for the machine if any are needed? I won't know until I try to get it running. Any recommendations for what color chemistry I should purchase?

Lastly, are there any large format photographers and/or printers in Las Vegas?

Gratefully,

Douglas

Re: Color Darkroom Set Up and Fujimoto CP-51

Bump
    Tin Can

I have a CP-51 and 2 CP-31s. I have the manual for the CP-31, not sure about CP-51, probably so though.

The main thing is to maintain it well - clean it daily, at the very least. I don't have any special ventilation in my darkroom, it's not really necessary for color RA4 printing I dont' think. (at least not in my case). You will need a tempered water connection and 240v line for the CP-51 I believe. Fujimoto spare parts sometimes show up on the secondary market, but they are also available new, I think Omega-Satter was the last distributor. Search online here, there should be some old threads about it. The pieces that need replacement most often are the rollers, but even those will last a long time if treated well.

For chemistry, stick with the Kodak RA-RT chemistry. It's cheap (relatively), lasts a long time, and is the gold standard for RA4.

The harder thing will be paper. Kodak cut-sheet Endura is no longer being made, only the roll form. You can get cut-sheet Fuji paper though, however many consider the Endura to be the better product. Or, cut down Endura rolls into sheets yourself.

The CP-51 is relatively robust but it's not the kind of thing you want people fiddling with, so make sure users keep hands-off on it, don't let them change settings or open the machine, IMNSHO. When new, these were a $15k+ setup, so not a cheap piece of equipment.

Congrats on being able to bring it back online and for keeping analog color printing available as an option!

-Ed

Bob

I'm sure I have the manual and will try to get it scanned in the next couple of days. DO NOT just fill it with water to test it, doing that wrong will burn out the heater according to the instructions. Have you found the long thin funnels that came with the machine? You need to use them to charge the system and get liquid deep in the reservoir below the visible level. It should have come with two funnels to avoid contamination of the developer with bleach fix. Also do you have the ceramic (or something like it) filters to go in the two holes at the back of the first two tanks. They are key and used to be hard to get.

Do you have the stabilizer version or the running water version, they made both. Less hassle with the stabilizer version as you won't need running temperature controlled water and a drain. Mine is running water, but the instructions deal with both I think, haven't read them in awhile.

You will need some ventilation unless you want a serious headache after a few hours running the machine. Tried it without at first and learned my mistake.

Again I'll try to scan it tomorrow if I get time. They are great machines, dry to dry in minutes. Wish I had time to run mine. Keep debating trying to sell it, but can't quite come around to doing it.

Ed,

Thank you for replying. I will write down all the points you made and be sure to pay attention to all of this during the set up and maintenance of the printer. If any other suggestions come to mind regarding the printer and the darkroom please send them my way.

Many thanks,

Doug

Bob,

Thank you for offering to scan the manual. I definitely wanna get my hands on it before I start fiddling around with the machine. I didn't see any funnels but now that you've mentioned them I will search for them. One of the professors may have the funnels in his office. I'll check. I'll also check for the ceramic filters too.

Not sure which version it is. I will take some pictures and upload them to this thread.

Thank you very much for the help and for the advice. I'll try to get the pictures up tomorrow.

Bob

Here's what you are looking for. The first shows funnel inserted in the hole to fill the system, next two are filters obtained from different sources and last is the funnel by itself.

Will get to scanning a bit later.

I couldn't find the filters online from Pakor anymore, but some minilab supply place may stock a comparable enough filter to work or someone on the forum may know where to get more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20151209_081505_resized.jpg   20151209_081539_resized.jpg   20151209_081702_resized.jpg  

The manual was online, but archive.org doesnt' seem to have all of it, and the Jobo site seems to have moved it (or it's not listed anymore):

https://web.archive.org/web/20100201...al_cp51_00.htm

https://web.archive.org/web/20100125...supplement.htm

Other copies/versions of the manual:

http://www.silveruser.ca/Manuals/CP31%20Service.pdf

http://www.silveruser.ca/Manuals/CP51.pdf

Filters were discussed here:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/6...l-filters.html

The Stabilizer version wouldn't be ideal for RA-4, you pretty much want to wash those prints if possible. That said, you can loop and use a water bath without having running water or a drain if need be. I do something similar with my CP-31, basically i have a tempering bath that holds about 5Gal of water, and it has a circulation pump, I pump that into the input for the wash water in the W/D unit, and recirculate it to wash prints. It's not ideal, and I have to change the water from time to time during the session, but I haven't had time to plumb a basement drain (and supply) yet.

Spare parts here:

http://www.omegabrandess.com/product...oto-Processors

Bob,

I still have not found the two funnels. Do you think it will be difficult to find similar funnels? And do you have a suggestion for where I should search for some? Here are some pictures of the machine. It's covered in dust but I'll get it cleaned up next week once the semester ends and I have time to start setting up the darkroom. Any suggestions for what to watch out for when first starting it up and running it? It hasn't been used in years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2923.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	143307Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2925.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	143308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2928.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	143309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2930.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	143310

Ed,

Thank you for all the links. This is very helpful information. I hope all goes well with the set up. None of the undergrads or graduate students have ever printed in a color darkroom before. I'm the only one with previous experience. In case you're interested in seeing the processor, I've posted images of it in my reply to Bob. Thanks again for your help.