Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lf gov't job opening (UPDATE: it's been filled!)

Lf gov't job opening (UPDATE: it's been filled!)

Re: Lf gov't job opening

I don't know the why or wherefore, but this has been posted before (maybe 10-15 years ago?) and no one was ever hired. Might have been budget issues etc. Who knows. I know some many years ago I threw my hat in the ring and later I got a letter saying the job was not going to be filled but did not specify why. I wasn't sure I wanted it even if I had gotten it but I rolled the dice. This no longer interests me at this time in my life, but it could be a good gig for someone younger if this offering is real.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Looks pretty cool actually. But as far as "Large Format" is concerned, I'm not sure they are looking for a photographer but perhaps someone who can run a large format printer.

"Produces large-format photographic documentation"

Is this a joke? Apparently only males are allowed to apply, that should be interesting when the rest of the world hears about that one! Lol.

Looks like it was written by someone who's never even seen a camera before.

The position is not limited to males, however if you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, you must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so under Selective Service Law.

Also, to respond to Kirk's post, they have to advertise the position even if they end up promoting an internal candidate, and they can cancel the advertisement if none of the applicants meet the minimum standards, or are all overqualified, or if they lose funding for the position (which happens a lot). Since the current Continuing Resolution runs out in a few days and the government will be without a budget, probably not the best time to apply to any vacancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cunningham View Post
    Looks pretty cool actually. But as far as "Large Format" is concerned, I'm not sure they are looking for a photographer but perhaps someone who can run a large format printer.

"Produces large-format photographic documentation"
    It states later that you must be familiar with large format cameras. That's why I posted it.

If you read the linked questions, there are many about using LF cameras, using them in the field, developing LF film, etc. Sounds like a great job for someone.

It is the same job that Jet Lowe and Jack Boucher did. And for the same agency.

Just because there are specialized requirements it doesn't mean those are "true" requirements. Government is an extremely cronyistic system and they use all manor of tricks to limit who may apply and "qualify" for the position. Often times they might as well call out the person getting the job by name. I worked for the Air Force and Army for nearly a quarter century and can assure you this is how the game is played. I guess my loathing for it is why I never got past GS-09.

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Just because there are specialized requirements it doesn't mean those are "true" requirements. Government is an extremely cronyistic system and they use all manor of tricks to limit who may apply and "qualify" for the position. Often times they might as well call out the person getting the job by name. I worked for the Air Force and Army for nearly a quarter century and can assure you this is how the game is played. I guess my loathing for it is why I never got past GS-09.
    So cronyism and favoritism doesn't exist in the private sector?