Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice for buying a tripod + head

Need advice for buying a tripod + head

I second the Berlebach recommendations. I bought myself a Berlebach 3032 for Christmas. It is the model with the leveling ball rather than a center column and I use it without a head for both my 5x7 B&J and my Toyo View G. I really like this setup. Its lighter than my heavy film tripod, heavier duty that my System 1 with ball head, and works for my style. It lets me get very low to the ground (3 inches). I don't go that low often but I do use it quite a bit at 30 of so inches.

As for the Arnold comment, 12lbs, that's not heavy. Hulk my bogen 3033 legs and fluid head around for awhile, especially with a 16mm Arri in the other hand. :-) After over a year of this monstrosity as my standard tripod for LF, the Berlebach is a great alternative.

I have the same camera and the same lens range. I use a Gitzo 1325 and an Acratech ballhead. I can tighten down the ballhead and throw the whole rig over my shoulder and hike around. The camera does not budge on the ballhead. For me, that is the ultimate test of a ballhead's ability to hold without slipping. It also a very lightweight ballhead and not too expensive.

Asthetically, I never liked the idea of putting a high-tech CNC-made black Arca onto a classic wooden tripod or a clunky (but excellent) heavy-metal Majestic. Really, a Gitzo is the best the way to go, and since you've already demonstrated that you are crazy enough to spend the big bucks on an Arca and a rack of 58mm to 450mm view lenses, now is hardly the time to think cheap. Especially when a solid tripod will be the single most important factor in getting sharp photos (compared to buying more expensive lenses.)

If you need to save money buy the Gitzo 326 I have on eBay right now ;-). I'm going the other way and opting for a CF wonder, as the cold winters and metal tripods are really a detriment to going out photographing.

That 1504 is probably the right tripod for the 450mm, sad to say. Based on what I've read here, alot of folks are under tripoded - aren't some of you nuts using little Gitzo 1227s with 8x10s?!?

What Frank said!

Stop kidding yourself. Spend the money.

What Scott and Frank said:

Don't under tripod yourself. The tripod is as important as the lens. Gitzo without a center column: I use an Ebony SV45U on a Gitzo 1348 without a center column, and get incredibly sharp pics.

Steve

hello rainer...

my 'field' tripod is a bogen 3031 with a 410 junior geared head. the 410 recently replaced my 468 proball head, which was VERY stable (rated to something like 36 pounds) but a but overkill for my TK45S. i find the geared head to be far easier to use, as you can make fine adjustments to one axis without disrupting the other two... one of those things i wish i bought a long time ago!

good luck,
    scott

I purchased the 3039 head, and it's by far the best head I've ever owned. It's the upscale version of the venerable 3047 head and is rated for 26 lbs. Even Bogen's 3057, 4.5 lbs heavy-duty head doesn't match that spec.

I think this head makes an excellent combination when used on the Bogen 475 Pro Geared Tripod. I have an Arca Classic F, and it works great with this combination. The 475 is an improved version of the old 3036. The center column is more sturdy. Like the 3036, the 475 has legs that can be independantly locked to any angle. This makes this tripod excellent for landscape, where one is usually faced with non-flat terrain.

In addition, the 475 also has a center-brace system for the legs. One problem with the older 3036, was that it took a bit of adjustment for each leg every time one wanted to use the tripod on a flat surface. This center-brace eliminates this problem. While they discuss it, the Bogen site doesn't really show a photo of this center-brace system. It's a significant improvement.

I have to agree with Neil. I recently purchased a Bogen 475 with a 3039 head because my old 3041 is really starting to show its age. You can buy them as a set from B&H where I bought mine. I have tried it out with my Cambo SC 4x5 monorail camera and the 475/3039 combo is very steady and versitle. Another reason that I purchased the 475 is because I also shoot Mamiya 645 medium format. This includes the 500mm f5.6 telephoto lens which weighs about five pounds. The tripod is rock steady with this lens as well as the 4x5 equipment.

Frank, I told Deb you refered to her as a nut....lol...When my girlfriend moved from 4x5 to 8x10 she already had, I think it is, the 1228 ( four piece legs instead of three like the 1227)..I too suggested a stronger tripod, but being the tightwade she is she claimed the 1228 was more than adequate. Now granted she's mounting a 9.5lb 8x10 but I was surprised to see how well it handled it. As A matter of fact it didn't even grunt. This little 3.5lb tripod is rated at 18 lb so with lens and filmholder she is probably getting close to max. Then again I've seen her practically sit on this thing, something I won't let her do to my ries backpacker. Carbon composite is pretty tough stuff. Also, one piece of advice i will offer is forget about a center post. With a center post all you have is a monopod with legs. And if you want to lighten the pack even more, leave the head at home and mount to the tripod. You'll be surprised the movements you can do without a head, using the legs and your camera movements. But the best piece of advice any large format photog can give you is....Hire an assistant or a porter. Also good pack mule is worth his weight in gold ( and yes I mean the four legged version) Now if you're only going a hundred yards from the car buy the heaviest, sturdiest, gear you can find. I'm talking about gear that we carry on three and four day treks at times at altitudes over 7000 ft. Up there a 5lb weight savings is a little more appreciated.

Something to consider .I also have a gitzo G1340 studex 3 (I think it's called.) with a 1570 3 way pan head. Not very heavy and will hold a horse. I would stay away from ball heads, after using a 3way pan a ballhead is just a headache..( flopping around as you try to set up)..with the pan you can tilt 2 ways plus swing..Nothing more aggravating than to have your camera all level and just need a tad of tilt and then when you crack the ball head loose your 8x10 is moving in every direction.