Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice for buying a tripod + head

Need advice for buying a tripod + head

Hi all!

I´ve been using an older Manfrotto 055 (Bogen 3011) tripod with a heavy 229 3D (Bogen 3039) head so far - not a perfect combination of course. The tripod is far to lightweight for this heavy head.

I like the 229 (3039) head very much but would like to get a new tripod very soon or a new tripod/head combination.

I´m using an Arca 4x5 F-Line with lenses from 58 to 450mm and do mostly architecture and landscape.

I´m NOT willing to spend >1000,- for a Gitzo Carbon plus Arca B2 Ballhead and I do NOT exactly look like Arnold Schwarzenegger - so a 12lb Gitzo Geant 1504 is not a good idea ... ;-)

Thanks for your suggestions!

I bought the Giottos 9180. It's relatively cheap. Rated at 26lbs I think. It's not that light but not 12lbs either. With the 329RC4 head on the top it's handled everything from 5x7 to a 15 lb 8x10.

Rainer. You could consider a wooden tripod. Since you put it clear that you do not want an expensive carbon-fibre tripod, look at the various manufacturers of wooden tripods.
    For example I use a Berlebach # 8013, weight is 2.4 kg without head and it will hold 8 kg. The ratio between the load capacity and the tripod weigth is excellent with wooden tripods.
    Probably you'll ask for something slightly stronger, but you prabably do not need a centre post, avery adjustement can be done with the legs and tripod head.
    After you've saved money on the tripod, since you mention architecture, may be you could consider the Arca Cube C1 as a tripod head ;-);-)

When it comes to solid tripods a limited budget and lightweight are at least partially mutually exclusive. But a couple of suggetions that do not totally break the bank:

1) One of the best an dmost precise heads around is the Majestic. You can find them used for less than $100. Only drawback they are large and heavy!

2) Think beyond Gitzo and Bogen for tripods. While you are looking for the Majextic head you will also find lots of Majextic pods with heads already mounted. Again not light but you will find nothing sturdier. Look at Berlbach wooden 'pods. Look at the Linhof 3414 ... it is a relatively light 'pod that easily takes up to 20 lbs and is rock solid. I normally usea Linhof 3414 with an Acratech head for everything up to 5x7 and it takes my Canham 5x7 racked all the way out and all is well. Your total outlay for that 'pod and head new will be around 700. Used a lot less.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I have two main tripods for 8x10, and recommend them both. My classic wooden tripod is an old Ries; 15 pounds, but a super strong support. I also have an old Bogen 3021 aluminum tripod with a 3057 head. The tripod is only rated at 13 pounds, but it holds my weight (about 200 pounds), so I figure it's okay for an 8x10. (The 3057 head is rated for 26.5 pounds.) The tripod/head together weigh just under ten pounds.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

for my 4x5 Arca rig I regularly use a Gitzo 1325 (aluminum) tripod with an Arca-Swiss B1 monoball head. A decent alternative head is the Manfrotto/ Bogen #410 Mini-geared head but it isn't completely ideal.

Ellis, the only tripod head I have had is the Manfrotto/ Bogen #410 Mini-geared head. Out of curiosity, in what sense is it not ideal? I'm not suggesting it is, I'm simply wondering -since I am not acquainted with any other head- what shortcomings you feel it has.

I have the same camera, and just purchased the bogen 410 head and the gitzo 1410 legs, with rapid column. Which, despite what others say, really isn't that heavy. I would like to get carbon fiber too, in the future, but I like the extra weight of metal for stability. You will need a column for this combo though, to get full movement out of the head. I got some Optech leg covers too, which I haven't put on yet. Total price is around $600.

Eric Woodbury

A tripod that is seldom talked about that I like very much is the Paillard Bolex tripod. (Not the praying mantis type.)They come up for sale on ebay regularly. Not heavy. Very strong. I've used them for 810 and 57. I don't like the heads that come with them as they are intended for 16mm movie cameras. I put a low profile Gitzo with a large platform on mine. Good news is they are cheap. Always under a $100. There was just one that didn't sell and the minimum was only $24.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Octogenarian

Hi Ranier,

Take a look at the Bogen/Manfrotto 475 tripod legs with the 329RC4 head. The new RC4 quick release plate is a teriffic improvement over the old hex-type QR plate. For a little more money, the 475 legs are also available in a black finish. The 475 seems to be a good balance between size and weight, and it easily supports my 8X10 Tachi with a relatively heavy weight lens mounted on it.