Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: epson p800 and digital neg's

mitch

epson p800 and digital neg's

is anyone using the new Epson p800 for digital negatives and if so how much different is the curve from your old printer.
    thanks
    mitch

Re: epson p800 and digital neg's

Quote Originally Posted by wager123 View Post
    is anyone using the new Epson p800 for digital negatives and if so how much different is the curve from your old printer.
    thanks
    mitch
    I was going to ask the same thing here... My 4800 is getting long in the tooth, and wanted to consider the P800 as the next printer.

---Michael

I've had mine for a few weeks but haven't tried diginegs yet. It seems to be a really good printer, and I think I'll get the darkroom put back together in the next few month... The black channel is denser than the other two gray inks so the cross overs and correction curves will be different than the x800-880s
    Personal Site — http://www.richardboutwell.com
    Black and White Aesthetics, Editing, and Printing — http://www.BWMastery.com

mitch

talked to Dan Burkholder and he has just ordered a P800 and is going to do the curves for me as we use the same papers ect he's been a good friend and mentor so I will wait on him. I started trying to come up with a curve using his way and the results were way different than my 3880 curve and I still need to work on the highlights some , so far the curve is more like a plat/ plad curve also had to reduce the ink density from the +25 on my 3880 to normal to get any tone below 70%
    mitch

Just ordered my P800... The 4800 I have is still going strong, but this new printer will do better matte paper prints from what I have seen... probably better glossy or luster prints as well.

I have to decide what to do with the old 4800. It has never given me clogging problems so it may be a good candidate for a Cone B&W conversion. I may have to look into that a bit. Not sure I like only having a few choices for print tone (unless I mix the ink myself), and I really would like to be able to print on baryta style papers too. I am going to have to do some research on all of this before I put it up on CL for sale.

---Michael

I know this is an old post, but I just ordered the p800 (with rebate) with the intentions of making digital negatives. I hope the wrinkles have been ironed out since 2015, and I hope I made the right choice. Was a toss up between the Canon Pro 1000 and the Epson, but having owned (still do) both Epsons and Canons, I tended to like the Epsons better.

Unfortunately my Prograf 8300 is a giant paper weight right now, and will be prohibitively costly to repair. Shame. I like making large prints, but I really don't *need* to make 44" prints at the moment.

mitch

I love my P800 it never clogs or gives me any problems at all. and it sits unused for several months each summer and never a problem.

I love my P800 it never clogs or gives me any problems at all. and it sits unused for several months each summer and never a problem.
    That's good to hear. Do you make digital negatives with your P800?

mitch

yes I do make digital negatives for pt/pd printing

yes I do make digital negatives for pt/pd printing
    Excellent, thanks. My printer should arrive tomorrow. Hopefully I don't forget to fill out the rebate!