Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: The Kallitype Thread

Re: The Kallitype Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Holdenrichards View Post
    Kallitype on Strathmore 300gsm paper; X-ray Negative made from 5x7 Silver Positive Contact Print

That's a beautiful print!
    So you make a contact exposure trough paper onto XRay neg? Interesting idea....
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post
    That's a beautiful print!
    So you make a contact exposure trough paper onto XRay neg? Interesting idea....
    Thanks! and yes, exactly. Its printed correctly so its a perfect internegative to print on to x-ray film.

Quote Originally Posted by Holdenrichards View Post
    Kallitype on Strathmore 300gsm paper; X-ray Negative made from 5x7 Silver Positive Contact Print

WHy not use the x-ray film in camera to take advantage of its' film curve?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    WHy not use the x-ray film in camera to take advantage of its' film curve?
    I want to make regular negs for silver prints (and carry fewer holders) and focus on film efforts on attaining that in the field. I can make these kallitype negatives anytime. I also don't want to change exposure habits I have spent so long cultivating. But I know many do.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

How long will a Kallitype keep before development? well I coated and exposed this sheet on 25 June - about 6 weeks back - but decided that I printed it a little too deep and coated and developed another sheet which I developed and placed on my website. This sheet sat face down on top of a Jobo all that time being turned over from time to time to observe any changes. the "whisper" appeared to darken a little but otherwise exhibited no change. Before development today:

After fixing:

Had I kept the sheet in a paper-safe in a more controlled environment I suspect the resulting print would have turned out better. I did not use distilled water as I normally do and guesstimated the amount of hypo and citric acid. Didn't bother to tone it.

Thomas

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I posted this in the 5x7 thread yesterday but it really belongs here.

Thomas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0119 working-small.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	183624

Gold Toned Kallitype on Ruscombe Herschel. (8x10, Cooke Series XVa 311mm, Ilford Delta 100) I've been making a lot of kallitypes over the last month or so. (And trying the process with a variety of papers.) Really love the process and purple-black color of the gold toned prints. After being turned off by what seemed to be an excessive number of trays and bottles required by the process, I tried doing the single tray technique. Works like a charm.

I've only ever used one tray, and 5 bottles of solutions... sodium citrate developer, citric acid, gold toner (if i use it), fix, selenium toner (if I use it). Over the past 10 years, I've tried just about every developer concoction, but settled on sodium citrate. I also have a bottle of sulfamic acid when a paper needs to be acidified...I guess that's 6 bottles!

I'm using the Sodium Acetate/Ammonium Citrate hybrid developer that Christopher James recommends in his book. Then a short soak in distilled water. Then onto clearing (Citric Acid). Then a tap water rinse before gold toning. Rinse again, then a short (2 min) Fix, rinse again, then Hypo Clear (1 min). So 6 bottles here as well. Though sometimes I do a double clear with EDTA as well as Citric Acid.

The distilled water soak is something I just started. It really clears a lot of the yellow stain out of the paper. The clearing baths last much longer as a result.

More work than Platinum/Palladium, but the print changes during each step, so it's quite interesting to watch the transformation.

Tim Sandstrom

looks like a fine print, Karl - keep it up