Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: The Kallitype Thread

Re: The Kallitype Thread

Too true, I have gone from using xray negs to digital negs through my new Epson p800, amazing difference in density.

Untitled California, 2014.

I shot the negative 4 years ago to make a salt print but for some reason never printed it until this morning.

Thomas

Palace of Fine Arts, San Francisco, 2018.

A "must" for tourist - especially when the Exploratorium was located in the same complex as when this negative was taken - and a favorite among local photography enthusiasts both professional and amateur. Ansel Adams hung out a lot here during the 1915 San Francisco World's Fair. I shot this negative way back in 2013 with either the 360 symmer-s or 480 apo-ronar to make a salt print with. Either I did and didn't like the result or I just forgot about it. I came across it a few weeks back when looking for another negative to reprint. I had taught myself how to turn a black line on a print from emulsion damage into a white line and completely spot it out and decided to print it as a kallitype. I'm glad I did for it's a beautiful print to look at - it "glows" at you from a distance. I toned it for 22 minutes with a gold-ammonium thiocynate toner listed in the James book. A palladium toner would add a little "rouge" typical of the twilight skyline in San Francisco.

Thomas
    Last edited by tgtaylor; Yesterday at 01:01. Reason: Grammer.

Well it turns out that it was shot on Delta 100 with the 480 apo-ronar at f32⅓ for 1/15 second on 2 June 2013. I had misplaced my notebook back then and, thinking it was lost, replaced it so I now have 2 notebooks for field notes. My notes indicate that I shot a second negative of the same scene so there must be another one lurking in the negative boxes - probably developed for silver gelatin printing. Oh, and there is no emulsion damage to this negative - it was on the negative that I was originally looking for and knew that it was damaged.

BTW, I'm trying my hand at writing a blog for my website and if successful will have the first post up in a few days on the origins of landscape photography in the United States.

Thomas