Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: The Kallitype Thread

Re: The Kallitype Thread

From a recent trip to Yosemite:

610mm Apo-Nikkor. Beautiful lighting but the white cloud directly above the fall I find unappealing. Note the crevices in the rock on both sides of the wall.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Beautiful lighting but the white cloud directly above the fall I find unappealing.
    It doesn't bother me, but is there a way to Burn in using a mask for the cloud and the lower part of the falls so they have more texture? I guess it depends on your light source.
    The mountain waters of North Georgia call out to me, I visit and leave only tripod holes behind. The Appalachian Trail is my treadmill and gym.
    http://www.esearing.com

It's a low resolution scan on which I spent as little time as possible. On the print the sky is smooth and not pebbly appearing as in the scan as is the cloud which appears as a soft white cloud - not the kind that you would want to burn-in. Likewise on the print the wall has plenty of texture - almost palpable, especially when wet - and I am thinking of waxing to bring back that wet look. Finally I may have overexposed (I use the sun) by a few seconds. I had made up fresh sensitizer the night before printing (I had enough remaining to do the 4 or 4 prints that I had in mind but that sensitizer was mixed on 10/28/17 and I didn't want to risk wasting time with bad sensitizer even though the color looked good. I believe printing speed increases slightly with fresh sensitizer although this exposure was pretty close as you can read the film rebate. Finally, I toned to completion with gold which darkened somewhat the top 1/2 of the waterfall and removed a lot of the brown coloration from the wall which I find appealing. Next chance I get I'm going to reprint this negative incorporating an exposure and toning adjustment and see what I get.

Thomas

Here's Carleton Watkins 1865/66 albumin print from a glass negative that appears in The Stanford Albums taken from a location close to mine but with a wider lens:

Looks pretty good for a 150+ year old print doesn't it?

Thomas

Half Dome, Study 1. From the same trip

I arrived early with a different composition in mind but the cloud over the dome remained parked for at least a half hour which motivated me the expose a sheet. 360mm Schneider Symmar-S.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    View From Stage Road. - San Gregorio, California , 2018.

Due to its coastal location, this is a tricky landscape to photograph. Also the paper appeared to have little lumps in it when coating which made the scan appear rough. I've have admired this landscape over the years and plan to reprint it using a palladium toner. Toyo 810 MII with a 5x7 back and 610mm apo-nikkor on FP4+.

Thomas
    What about being on the Coast makes this "tricky"?

Are you in danger of falling into the ocean or something?
    I tend to procrastinate on stuff. One of these days I'll do something about it.

What about being on the Coast makes this "tricky"?
    Water vapor or relative humidity. As I type this the RH at the above location is 98%. As a general rule the RH of a particular location reaches its nadir in the mid afternoon which is great for this particular location because the subject is front lighted at that time.

Thomas