Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 111 to 113 of 113

Thread: The Kallitype Thread

  1. #111
    tgtaylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    3,793

    Re: The Kallitype Thread

    After sleeping on it overnight I find that the foreground is not "unbalanced" and the confining diagonal actually enhances it. I'll reprint this and if it turns out like I am imagining, I'll mat it. The additional exposure - 10 seconds - should also increase the definition of the foreground grasses.

    Thomas

  2. #112

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    184

    Re: The Kallitype Thread

    Hi All,

    Please excuse my interrupting the lovely images in this thread with a beginner's kallitype question. I've been teaching myself kallitypes from Christopher James' book, and have tried two papers I have hanging around for cyanotyping - Fluid 100 hot press and Arches Aquarelle hot press - both 100% cotton watercolor papers in the 300-320 gsm range. While I'm used to exposure differences among papers from cyanotyping, an equivalent exposure for a 15 min. print in my UV box for the Fluid 100 is somewhere around 4-5 min. for the Arches. Any reason why the printing time is so different between what should be two very similar papers? I figure sooner or later I'll get some paper that has been used more for kallityping (e.g. Arches platine), but wanted to start with what I had, and the difference in printing times surprised me.

    Thanks!
    Bill

  3. #113
    tgtaylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    3,793

    Re: The Kallitype Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Multiple mistakes with this one:



    For starters it was shot at high noon under the harsh Owens Valley sun. But is was late spring so I got a little break there. Then I accidentally set the wrong exposure on the lens and the negative came out too dark. Printing it I misjudged the exposure and pulled it too soon when it needed another 15 seconds or so in the direct sun. On development the developer (ammonium citrate and sodium acetate) was close to exhaustion but I managed to avoid staining and got it clear. I darkened it in Photoshop to show here but although I now know how to print this particular negative I am somewhat ambivalent as is seems unbalanced in the foreground. Rather than waste the POP gold toner, I toned it for 25 minutes.

    Thomas
    Sucessfully reprinted it over the weekend:



    Because there were thin high white clouds passing in front of the sun, the exposure was significantly greater than I originally thought. This time it was 8 minutes in the open shade and 2'55" in the direct sun - my stop watch is still set there. Instead of 25 minutes I toned it for 11 minutes in the POP toner. It shown here mounted on 14x17 Rising museum board and in a clear bags print sleeve.

    Who said you can't get a good picture at high noon?

    Thomas

Similar Threads

  1. UV lightning for Kallitype printing
    By norm the storm in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-May-2013, 10:22
  2. One Day Kallitype Intensive Workshop
    By tpersin in forum Announcements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 7-Apr-2013, 18:14
  3. developing T-max 100 for kallitype
    By Gerard de Vrueh in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23-Sep-2011, 14:56
  4. Kallitype
    By Aaron_3437 in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 16-Feb-2005, 22:59

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •