Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 141

Thread: The Kallitype Thread

  1. #1
    tgtaylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    3,853

    The Kallitype Thread

    Another process from the past - this one dates to ~ 1889.

    http://www.spiritsofsilver.com/yahoo...4732_large.jpg

    This is from a series of 5 8x10 negatives I shot last month in the California ghost town named Bodie specifically to print as Van Dyke Brownprints and Kallitypes - two printing processes that I believed would work best with the old building of Bodie. Although I had my full collection of 8x10 lens in the trunk, I selected 3 to carry in the backpack. All 5 negatives were taken with just one lens - a 480mm Rodenstock Apo-ronar. This image posted a problem in scanning as I had already dry mounted it to 4-ply museum board so the scanning focus (Epson 3200) may be a little off but it doesn't appear to be.

    To paraphrase from my Army days, "share 'em if you got 'em".

    Thomas

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    432

    Re: The Kallitype Thread

    Ive just started Kallitype last month or so. This is my favorite so far.
    From a 8x10 Fomapan 100 sheet developed in Pyrocat HD 2:2:100 for 18 min. Was a bit thick but works.
    Developed in Sodium Acetate/Tartaric Acid mix and gold toned on Magnani Reve 300

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bus Little Hampton002rz.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	143104
    Last edited by SMBooth; 5-Dec-2015 at 17:28. Reason: spelling

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    432

    Re: The Kallitype Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Another process from the past - this one dates to ~ 1889.

    http://www.spiritsofsilver.com/yahoo...4732_large.jpg

    This is from a series of 5 8x10 negatives I shot last month in the California ghost town named Bodie specifically to print as Van Dyke Brownprints and Kallitypes - two printing processes that I believed would work best with the old building of Bodie. Although I had my full collection of 8x10 lens in the trunk, I selected 3 to carry in the backpack. All 5 negatives were taken with just one lens - a 480mm Rodenstock Apo-ronar. This image posted a problem in scanning as I had already dry mounted it to 4-ply museum board so the scanning focus (Epson 3200) may be a little off but it doesn't appear to be.

    To paraphrase from my Army days, "share 'em if you got 'em".

    Thomas
    Real nice, care to share the process details

  4. #4
    tgtaylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    3,853

    Re: The Kallitype Thread

    Thanks Shane. I'm following the formulas given in the James book but exposing in the sun the same way I expose salt prints: first 20 minutes in the open shade and then finish it off in the direct sun dodging and burning as needed. Printed on Cot-320.

    Thomas

    Note: Because with the Kallitype you are looking for a "faint" image, I may not have exposed for a full 20 minutes in the shade befor finishinbg it off in the open sun.

    Thomas
    Last edited by tgtaylor; 5-Dec-2015 at 21:02. Reason: Add note

  5. #5
    tgtaylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    3,853

    Re: The Kallitype Thread

    Untitled 2016 California. Palladium-toned Kallitype.



    I shot the negative last Sunday with a 300mm 5.6 Nikkor-R lens (sharp as hell!). I had intended on shooting it with a 300mm Imagon but alas the Imagon was mounted on a Linhoff board so I used the Nikkor which was also in the pack. The palladium toner emphasized the rusty rails. Note the raised rail spikes in the second rail.

    Thomas
    Last edited by tgtaylor; 28-Feb-2016 at 13:15.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    249

    Re: The Kallitype Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Untitled 2016 California. Palladium-toned Kallitype.



    I shot the negative last Sunday with a 300mm 5.6 Nikkor-R lens (sharp as hell!). I had intended on shooting it with a 300mm Imagon but alas the Imagon was mounted on a Linhoff board so I used the Nikkor which was also in the pack. The palladium toner emphasized the rusty rails. Note the raised rail spikes in the second rail.

    Thomas
    Beautiful work!

  7. #7
    tgtaylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    3,853

    Re: The Kallitype Thread

    Thanks Shailendra. When the opportunity arises, I'm planning on printing it as a cyanotype to see how that looks.

    Kallitype printing bring back that magical moment you first experienced printing silver gelatin - only kallitype is much quicker that SG. Unlike SG, which has a completely latent image before placing in the developer, the kallitype as a very faint image - a "whisper" is how James describes it. But the instant it hits the developer it pops-up full blown as if by magic.

    Thomas

  8. #8
    tgtaylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    3,853

    Re: The Kallitype Thread

    Fort Point - 2016. http://www.militarymuseum.org/Fort%20Point.html



    Palladium-toned kallitype on Cot 320.
    Nikon 300-W - a red "D" lens.

    Thomas

  9. #9
    tgtaylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    3,853

    Re: The Kallitype Thread

    On a recent trip to Yosemite I shot an 8X10 negative of Cathedral Rocks from the seasonal pond that fills during spring after normal winter percipitation. This is the first year it has filled during the recent and
    no doubt continuing drought. On Sunday I printed it as a Kallitype and gold-toned it with a 5% solution. It's been sitting propped-up on top of the microwave in the kitchen for evaluation. Nose close it looks "OK" because it's not razor sharp but that is due to the matt-surface paper it is printed on (Cot 320). At normal arms length viewing it looks fine and subtle but noticeable brownish-black coloration becomes apparent which I find to be quite appealing. When I get home tonight I'll scan it for the website and then mount it on museum board.

    As far as I am aware, this is the first Kallitype taken inside Yosemite park.

    Thomas

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dallas/Novosibirsk
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: The Kallitype Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post

    As far as I am aware, this is the first Kallitype taken inside Yosemite park.

    Thomas
    No, quite popular, by the looks of it
    http://photoseed.com/blog/2016/01/29...-pipe-dreamer/

    and of course
    https://www.bostick-sullivan.com/art...kallitype.html

Similar Threads

  1. UV lightning for Kallitype printing
    By norm the storm in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-May-2013, 10:22
  2. One Day Kallitype Intensive Workshop
    By tpersin in forum Announcements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 7-Apr-2013, 18:14
  3. developing T-max 100 for kallitype
    By Gerard de Vrueh in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23-Sep-2011, 14:56
  4. Kallitype
    By Aaron_3437 in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 16-Feb-2005, 22:59

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •