Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Portland Oregon

Drew Wiley

Re: Portland Oregon

What are probably the finest set of falls in that part of Oregon is a local secret, Vaughn. A friend found them deer hunting; and nobody but my parents knew the
    name of them. I still own the pioneer cemetery next to the old mill which is now headquarters for the Oregon Historical printing press, which my grandfather once
    owned. A fairly easy hike off a logging road; but I'm not posting anything. If you happen to get up that way, I can message it. I haven't been there since my pre-pyro and graded paper only days. So it was one of those heavily dodged and burned images that I should probably dig up and attempt with newer paper. I gave
    the original print to my friend.

Very interesting story Drew. I love hearing and getting off the path. Not much of nature these days is "untouched".
    One must wait for the crowds to dissipate and get an angle that doesn't have signs or lamp posts in the frame.

Drew Wiley

I personally had spectacular waterfalls where I grew up in the Sierra; but even getting to the swimming holes below a set of them could cost you your life. I don't know if our big roll of sisal "donkey rope" really made it any safer; but somehow I survived. A couple of my cronies were swept over. Some of those canyon walls were over 8,000 high - twice the depth of the Grand Canyon - so falls were everywhere. Some seasonal ones were even higher than Yosemite Falls, but of course, don't really factor into statistics or tourist sights, simply because they might run only a week or two a year, and could be hell to get to. The falls in Oregon are more like a ten minute walk after some distinctly dusty driving past ugly clearcuts. But juggling view camera gear on muddy paths anywhere mandates a decent pair of hiking boots. I'm seldom in central Oregon anymore, but still have family in Portland, so have had quite a few opportunities for good long wet dayhikes in the Gorge. One more reason why I carry a black Goretex darkcloth for my 8x10.

I must say the best decision I made on the trip was to wear a pair of leather boots that are Goretex and insulated.

I was often soaked head to toe, maybe not my chest too much, due to a really nice Rab Neo Shell jacket I wore. But my gore tex pants developed a small hole near the back of my thigh and water would get in around my waistband somehow. Although, my feet never got wet. Even when a tide would come in and go up way past my ankles. I generally dress "trendy" and almost grabbed my Dr. Marten boots that are made to look rugged and old and beat up. Boy would that have been a poor decision. Being an Eagle Scout, I am surprised I even gave it a thought.

Drew Wiley

Going up popular Gorge trails like Eagle Creek, I actually prefer wet weekdays, because not as many people are around (and there are some very narrow sections of trail, and me with a very big wide pack), and due to the natural softbox lighting rain provides. Almost wanted fishing waders for a shot in the middle of the Creek; but what the heck, a pair of wet boots was worth it.