Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bag Advice (F-Stop ICU, Filson, etc)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bag Advice (F-Stop ICU, Filson, etc)

Ok. I have read through countless threads but need some advice. I cannot make up my dang mind.

What I Want (I think):
    • To travel with two bags. Both of which can generally be carry-on (I sometimes fly standby and must carry on). One a backpack, the other a duffle or similar.
    • Organized containers/etc for different camera systems.
    • To travel with Hasselblad and Leica.
    • Have space to slip in smaller bag full of 4x5 kit...especially so I can decide to go hike with Leica/Hassie or Leica/4x5.
    • Ability to hike/walk with one bag and leave the other at the hostel/hotel.

What I Own:
    • I have been traveling with one bag Gregory Z55 pack, but it is too difficult to travel. When I go on day trips I either carry all my stuff with me or leave clothes and stuff laying around in a hostel locker.
    • I do own a North Face duffel, but it is somewhat big. I normally check it when traveling with it.
    • Photobackpacker cascade film holder
    • Photobackpacker lens cases for LF lenses
    • Small organized bags (lightweight) that I have my dark cloth, loupe, etc in.
    • Leica M2 with one lens
    • Hasselblad 500C/M with two lenses (I normally only travel with 80mm)
    • Chamonix 4x5 with two lenses, film holders, etc
    • Harrison pup changing tent
    • CP26-L3S FLM Tripod (folded length - 24")

What I Am Considering:
    • Any feedback on these?
      Been wanting to get a Medium Shallow ICU, but they are always out of stock or on backorder. (Any alternatives similar to this that you know of? Maybe I should get a RPT case for the camera itself?)
    • Inside a backpack or duffle or whatever I can slip the ICU.
      Similar to this:
      F-Stop Medium Shallow ICU by alkanphel, on Flickr
    • Leaning toward a duffle bag (smaller than I own) for clothes, etc. And using my backpack for photogear only. I can leave a camera in the duffle bag (locked in locker) or have them all with me.
    • Originally was leaning toward using the duffle bag for cameras...but this doesn't seem optimal for hiking/walking around cities/country-sides.
    • I am hesitant to get another backpack since the Gregory is nice and made for hiking.

ANY advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Ralph Barker; 20-Jan-2016 at 16:05. Reason: copyright objection

Re: Bag Advice (F-Stop ICU, Filson, etc)

I have an f-stop pack and two of the Small Pro ICUs. Really like the pack (Loka) for use with my medium format kit (Pentax 645). It's not deep enough to hold my 4x5 (Arca Swiss) without taking the frames off the rail, but it's a good versatile system and I especially like how I can safely get to everything even when I can't put the pack down, because I'm standing in a river or a swamp, a not infrequent occurrence with me. I don't know why the Medium Slope ICU is so hard to get, but I vaguely recall that was the case when I bought my pack over a year ago.

A Mountainsmith Kit Cube Traveler might do it, if the 5" interior depth is enough.

A small shoulder bag should be enough for the Hasselblad; I'm thinking something like the Think Tank Retrospective 50, or perhaps even smaller, should do it.
    A medium-sized rolling case, like a Lowepro x100, should be able handle your 4x5 equipment and change of clothing for short trips.

Thanks for the information/advice.

Ah, I have a similar Mountainsmith that houses my hasselblad and other stuff, but its all ripped and shredded. About 5 years old.
    Although that might fit the bill. It is large enough (in fact it is larger than the F-Stop). Although I am going to have to measure my pack tonight, as not sure if it will squeeze into my pack.

For the Hasselblad I am thinking about replacing my busted Mountainsmith back with one from Crumpler.
    Not sure if it will fit my Hasselblad for every day use within another pack.

I am leaning toward getting new inserts, using my existing hiking pack, and getting a separate duffel for clothes, etc.
    This allows me to not have anything with wheels, can carry everything if need be, and have my cameras separate from my other travel stuff. Also allows me to carry on everything. With the option to carry LF only, MF only, etc etc.

Appletree: Please let us know what youdecide to do and share a few pictures of your outfit and how the combinations work.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Hey Drew. I will do that for sure! Thanks for the suggestion.

Two packs that admittedly not quite what you say you want. I bring them into the discussion because sometimes out-of-the-box is just the right solution.

This is a backpack that has a removable/configurable insert that will take padded deviders common to photography bags.

http://www.2vetsarms.com/LBT-2VA-Cov...overt-pack.htm

This is a dedicated photo oriented bag, but it is a sling, not a backpack.

http://www.hazard4.com/products/pack...gs/photo-recon
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

In anticipation of a new 8x10 next month, I bought this sight unseen: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ggler_bag.html
    The new camera will be under 3" wide when folded down, so I thought to get a messenger-type bag that can accommodate the camera and a few holders for a few hours' walkabout.
    I like that it can hold a lot of stuff, but appears to be, at least to watchful airport check-in staff, a regular shoulder bag; that means I can also bring a carry-on suitcase with me.

Looks like a really nice bag. Couldn't find dimensions besides thee total H+W+L=40". Is this an under-seater or Overhead bag? What else will you be able to get into it besides the camera body?

And What camera is on-the-way?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

Drew, it's described as an under seat in the lone review. The dimensions are well under maximum carry-on size.
    I'm hoping to get the camera, two lenses and accessories in there, as well as 2-3 holders.
    It seems to be an excellent travel bag, though I'm sure no one had 8x10 in mind when they designed it.
    But, going by Jonathan's o.p., it would probably fit his 4x5 kit and a few other things, and do so with a minimum of fuss. He'd be free to have a second bag for personal items.
    Another space-saver is taking a Harrison changing bag, leave the tent at home.
    I ponied up the dough for a Gibellini, the size and weight were too tempting, and I'm hoping they're as precise and stable as advertised.