Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bag Advice (F-Stop ICU, Filson, etc)

Re: Bag Advice (F-Stop ICU, Filson, etc)

Ari, that looks like a great bag. I look forward to hearing what you think of it. My small Billingham bag is near the end of it's life.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Ari, that looks like a great bag. I look forward to hearing what you think of it. My small Billingham bag is near the end of it's life.
    Will do so happily, Peter.

Just saw this thread. I have the Gura Gear Unita, with two inserts, and it is by far the most versatile and best-built backpack I have ever owned. The internal configurability is also amazing. Built quality, needless to say, is top-of-class. Because you access it from the side that faces your back, it's also more secure in many ways.

I can carry my 645z and 6 lenses in the main area, leaving enough room for a Leica M and two lenses, plus a space for a light meter or flash, in the bottom module.

I saw these seriously on sale recently at a big online retailer. Might be worth a look.

Cheers and happy travels.

- N.

In all of these combinations, where does the tripod go? That's always the item that has stumped me in flying with 4x5 equipment.

I am interested in a combination of Loka UL and ICU, in the product page PRO ICU is listed as accessory to Loka UL. Does anyone know if XL PRO ICU can be fitted in Loka UL.

Realized, seeing my own post, that this is a 1.5 year-old thread. How did it end, both for Appletree's purchases, and Ari's satisfaction with his pack?

Hi songyun,

With F-stop bags, the ICU compatibilities are listed on a product tag that comes attached to the bag. This is a little frustrating for online buyers. When you have the Loka UL bag selected in their online store, you'll notice they provide the option to add ICU's along with the bag to your cart. In that list the XL PRO ICU is not included so I would assume it's too big for the bag.

F-stop has decent customer service so I would shoot them an e-mail or give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gauthier View Post
    Hi songyun,

With F-stop bags, the ICU compatibilities are listed on a product tag that comes attached to the bag. This is a little frustrating for online buyers. When you have the Loka UL bag selected in their online store, you'll notice they provide the option to add ICU's along with the bag to your cart. In that list the XL PRO ICU is not included so I would assume it's too big for the bag.

F-stop has decent customer service so I would shoot them an e-mail or give them a call.
    I have already sent them an email, no one pick up the phone though. I think xl pro icu might fit, but won't be easy to access. I just need a little bit room for accessory. I have a trip coming up, hope to use this backpack.

4x5 rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    I have already sent them an email, no one pick up the phone though. I think xl pro icu might fit, but won't be easy to access. I just need a little bit room for accessory. I have a trip coming up, hope to use this backpack.
    I believe the Ajna is the replacement of the Loka. The Pro ICU XL does fit in the Ajna.

I just saw that F-Stop does not list the specs of their UL bags, so there is no possibility to compare the inner dimensions..

Roy

Figure out what you want to bring (youj have), then get the padded inserts and dividers that will pack that stuff and put them into bags/backpacks that will work for you.

By using these inserts (I have seen them on e-Bay) you can pack in ordinary looking luggage, bags, duffels and backpacks . . .not obvious and expensive dedicated photo bags.

This also allows you to switch-out one system for another without handling all the constituent bits individually.

Be open to redefining and refining your selection of baggage and packing methods as time goes by and your creative process evolves.

Please let us know what you finally do.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!